Find
Notify
Tools

LEFT HAND M1999 Actions Update
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello Everyone,
Just thought I'd pop in here and let everyone know where we are for the Left Handed actions. We are "way" behind, aren't we? Sorry but I can explain.
When we began the shorts and left hand long actions we decided to have two machine shops work on the actions. One for the left hands and one for the right hands. Seems logical doesn't it? That's what we thought.
Unfortunately while the shop doing the right handed actions is going full bore, the shop doing the left hands threw a wrench into the works.
The shop doing the left hands informed us not so long ago that they couldn't do the left hands without putting their company name on the actions. We asked them why they would need to put their names on the actions since they are not the manufacturer? I guess they felt that they were. They said that unless they receive a variance from the BATF they would have to. We waited for them to receive their variance, but time is critical and we did not want any of our customers to wait any longer than necessary. So what we did is pull all of the left handed actions out of the one machine shop and have them sent to the other machine shop. They are sitting on the machine shop floor right now just waiting for their turn in line. If the other shop receives their variance before they are ready to go in the other shop then we'll send them back to the other shop.
So what does this mean? We are now looking at them in somewhere between 4-5 weeks. In other words, right before Christmas. We are pushing extremely hard and will get them out for you as quickly as possible.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan. We're waiting with baited breath. (lefty)

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that the first machine shop (let's call them the "right" shop) is turning out actions that are very straight and square. Also they have quite a bit of experience by now with machining your actions.

Quite frankly, I would prefer to have that same shop do the lefties rather than some other shop which has no experience with your actions and is an unknown quantity regarding their quality control.

Every single one of these actions, both right and left hand, is going to be the heart of someone's prized custom rifle. In my cse the hearts of two custom rifles. The gunsmiths who are going to work on these actions are, by and large, pretty experienced fellows and can tell a good'un from a dog pretty easily.

I'd MUCH rather wait for something that is straight and well done and that I will be proud of and happy with than save a couple of weeks and get something that might be disappointing. Especially after waiting this long.

Please take the time to do the left ones "right" the first time.

BTW - you seem reluctant to name the second machine shop - any reason? If not, who are they?

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.S. Also, I do NOT want someone else's name on my action. These original M1999's may or may not someday command a high status (and I hope that they do), so I do not want to have this conversation at some gun show in my dotage:

Buyer: "Hey Old Timer, that's a mighty nice looking rifle. Looks like an early Montana. Man, those things command some high prices. How much ya want for it?"
Old Timer (i.e. me):" Yep, its a two digit serial number. I won't take a penny less than -some 4 digit number- [Smile] "
Buyer:"Oh, wait a minute. I see from the lettering on the action that it's one of those "Joe's Tool and Die" Montanas and not an actual "Montana" named rifle. Aw, damn shame. I'll give ya two hundred bucks for it if you throw in the Zeiss scope."

Your whole raison d'etre is to sell the best blend of the M70 and M98 to the custom gun trade. So far the big name smiths that have looked at your right handed actions have been pleased. We lefties get screwed every time we turn around in the bolt action world. Please don't let that happen again.

Okay - tirade mode off. Waiting patiently for a quality product. Thanks.

[ 11-19-2003, 18:58: Message edited by: Jim in Idaho ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too. I'd just as soon wait and have mine done by the "right" shop. Thanks for the update.

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim in Idaho:
Aw, damn shame. I'll give ya two hundred bucks for it if you throw in the Zeiss scope."

OUCH [Eek!]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Old Timer (i.e. me):" Yep, its a two digit serial number. I won't take a penny less than -some 4 digit number- [Smile] "

I can't wait for my one digit, LOL maybe I'll leave it in the raw and lock in the safety deposit box......NAH, I'd rather shoot it! [Wink]

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Oh, BTW. I also agree with letting the shop that's doing the right handed actions, do the leftys. Less learning curve that way.

[ 11-19-2003, 23:31: Message edited by: Fjold ]

<Rusty>
posted
Once again we get the straight of the matter from the folks at Montana Rifle Co. I appreciate Dan being straight forward here and in my personal conversations with him on the phone.

I have to agree with Jim on this matter of which machine shop is doing what. I'd just as soon wait on the one that is doing the right handed actions now. They have experience now, their work would I think be prefered.

I know it has been a wait, but I feel it will be well worth the time. Having gotten my right hand action to the gunsmith, I'll be glad when the left handed actions ship.

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone as to the "learning curve" but the second shop we have employed is in the gun industry. So I'm not too worried about the quality. Besides that fact, if the machining is not up to snuff, we would reject them. They have sent us samples and we've gone over them with a fine toothed comb and so far they seem to know what they are doing. If we can just get them past this one issue we would be flying high.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, just thought of something. Suppose that, instead of the "perceived to be inferior Joe's Tool and Die" actions, that these lefties sent to the second shop turned out to be the rare and highly valued "D'Arcy Echols Montana actions"? [Wink]

And we rejected them? Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants? [Frown]

We custom rifle buyers are, by and large, a picky and somewhat anal bunch (okay, I am at least). Little things like "which shop did better work" will keep us up at night worrying.

Just take your time, get them done right, and as Rusty says, once we have a product that we are proud of any extra month or two wait will all be in the past and forgotten, the only thing left in the present will be the warm glow of satisfaction and pride of ownership.

And another P.S. - Your honest efforts at keeping us appraised of the situation are very much appreciated. Thank you!

[ 11-20-2003, 01:20: Message edited by: Jim in Idaho ]