Find
Notify
Tools

BBK-02 action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
I would really like to obtain a BBK-02 action. If someone has one they are willing to part with, I would like them to e-mail me with the asking price.

Thanks,
-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
Catter,
Just wanted to be sure that you knew that these (referring to the "BIG" BBK action) were being manufacturered again, with supposedly better quality than ever, by Olympic Arms in their CA foundry. Price is $599 retail. These are called their UltraMag actions. Go to
http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html and click on the UltraMag icon. The older ones were varying degrees of roughness from those that I've spoken to who have owned them. Sure nice and big though - Jeff Pfeifer

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I didn't realize that that OlyArms ultramag was the same thing. Do you have the dimensions on the bolt body as compared to the CZ and Winchester actions. I thought I remembered seeing them somewhere in the forum but can't find it now.

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
I saw it too but don't have it handy. I think the BBK was .750".

JP

<Pfeifer>
posted
My earlier BBK rely as to bolt diameter was incorrect. Found this in the .416 Gibbs Big Bores post:

BBS,
I just measured my BBK-02 460 Wby bolt diameter and compared it to that of the CZ 550 Magnum 416 Rigby, Ruger 77 Magnum 416 Rigby, and a Winchester 70 Classic 470 Capstick:
BBK-02 Magnum Mauser: 0.725"
CZ 550 Magnum: 0.700"
Ruger 77 Magnum: 0.695"
Winchester 70 Classic Super Express: 0.690"

These are quick measurements with calipers that may not be exact, but it shows that the BBK action is better suited for the 505 Gibbs case.

But you knew that already, didn't you?

------------------
DaggaRon
RAB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter I e-mailed OLY arms a week or so back asking for the bolt diameter of the BBK ultra mag action and they wrote back saying it was .708. I was under the beleif that it was .750.

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC
I measured an older BBK-02. I did it again and I am still getting 0.725". If my BBK-02 was supposed to be 0.708" then I cannot explain it. I do not think my calipers and I are that far off.

The BBK-01 is what they are offering nowadays, and I do not have one to measure.

Back in the early 90's there were claims by the Bauska folk that they were going to produce a stainless steel version of the BBK-02. It never materialized. They went out of production.

Now there is the BBK-01, and I do not know how it differs from the BBK-02. And I do not know why the numbering system for the later version is -01 versus the -02 earlier version.

I think the Dakota action may have a large diameter bolt. It would be nice to have the published spec on this as well as someones measurement first hand. Does anyone know about the Dakota?

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaggaRon I hope your right that it is .725, the measurement I was given was for the bbk-01 action. I wish to do a .585 Nyatti at some stage and was told that the BBK action would be better due to the larger bolt diameter. I was really hoping that there was a reasonably priced mauser type action with a .750 diameter otherwise I will just use the cz550 which only just does the job.

Regards PC

------------------

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Why not use a UltraMag BBK02 action?
see the 600 fan club post in the big bore section.
i moved the photo there.

[ 08-21-2002, 21:09: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ultramag action as posted by Bearclaw, and I am sure the bolt body is 0.720 diameter.

The receiver is drilled and tapped for A-Bolt bases of all things.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This must be an old thread as my .585 is now built on a Brno 602, in hindside I probably should have ordered an oly arms action, but the wait to get it to this country and customs would have been a pain in the ass. And I suppose we have to remember that all though not ideal the standard Nyati can be donne on the m98.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hey Catter,

Is this for your .500 Dark Continent? Just curious how that project is going. Have a good one!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote