New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Is there a trick to Control Rings?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
assemble the rings without the scope then put masking tape around the top to keep the hat in place..once you have the scope & rings on the rifle with the base cone screws lightly holding the rings get a friend to hold the scope close to the rings and lightly hit your rifle atound the magazine well to get the crosshairs perpenticular..

this probably doesn't make any sence but it actually works..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey fellas,

just got off the phone with my stepfather and he got a set of Conetrol rings for my mom's rifle, he had to go from educated guess on the bases since the rifle is in my safe and he couldn't look at it. I am picking them up tonight and if the bases are right am going to install the scope (Leupold 6x with a dot, great scope). I have never put together Conetrol rings, is there a trick to it?

Thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
You have to make sure the top cap is matched to the rings(there is a small cut on it that will match up with a mark on top of rings.these caps BTW are not interchangeable, be careful in this respect. They can be rough to put on if they are matte and the scope is likewise. Otherwise they are not that bad to assemble. Hopefully the set your working with has that miniscule screw on the stud that really makes things easier. As long as components are matched and you have some patience it will work out well. For lining up the crosshairs try to get scope xhairs as vertical as possible and then get the ring halves as close together as possible and set them in base don't crank down on the windage screws as of yet otherwise just evenly screw the windage screws and turn them equally. If Xhairs are not vertical remove and adjust scope again and try again. There will be some trial and error involved but after you do it one time you'll never have a problem with it again. Try to keep those cone screws reasonably well aligned starting out as well.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote