THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Scope bases to fit unaltered Peruvian 1909 action

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope bases to fit unaltered Peruvian 1909 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know of a way to get Talleys, Warnes, or similar mount on the rear bridge of a 1909 Peruvian action, which still has the high charger hump?

Obviously it would be easiest to machine off the hump, but it really is the distinguishing feature of the action and I don't want to do that.

I have looked into claw mounts and receiver side rail mounts, but they are rather expensive for the overall cost of the project. I guess an alternative would be if anyone knows where to get a vintage Mauser side mount to work with a modern 1" scope?

Thanks,
TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griffin & Howe will set you up, one inch rings and all, for a mere $650 USD http://www.griffinhowe.com/mountsandpads.cfm Such a price tag would make it pretty easy for some fellas to live without the charger hump...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hillbilly

That's more than I have in the action, Lothar Walther barrel, butterknife handle bolt, and NECG sights!

Whoever can come up with an affordable side mount for the 98 will have a pretty good market...

Maybe I will look into modifying a Leupold QR base or a Talley base.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By taking off both of the recoil shoulders on a Talley rear base, I would have a rear base short enough. Fitted in nicely behind the charger hump, it would probably resemble a square bridge.

The rifle in question is a 7x57 which will weigh around 7.5 - 8 lbs. The scope will be the VX-1 2-7x33.

Will it stay on the rifle with just the front base recoil shoulder and the dovetail clamp effect of the rear base + ring, or is this a bad idea?

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize you specified Talley, Warne, etc but I thought I'd show this picture of a FN Leupold base that was modified to fit a 1908 Brazilian with the hump. The bridge had already been drilled to a .5" spacing. Perhaps some ideas to modify another brand could be taken form these.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M98 , I like that idea of modifing a luepold FN98 base that has the .5 hole space.

Dont like the Idea of a nice action drilled with for luepold mil m98 rear base "odd ball spaceing". Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would be quite ease to relieve the underside of the portion that overhangs the charger hump to accomadate the higher hump of the Turk/Peruvian actions. You will be getting close to the windage screw but i think that it will just make it. I'll check this out useing one of my actions.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mauser98:
I realize you specified Talley, Warne, etc but I thought I'd show this picture of a FN Leupold base that was modified to fit a 1908 Brazilian with the hump. The bridge had already been drilled to a .5" spacing. Perhaps some ideas to modify another brand could be taken form these.

I've got a 96 and a couple of 98's with the bases modified in the same manner.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I would be quite ease to relieve the underside of the portion that overhangs the charger hump to accomadate the higher hump of the Turk/Peruvian actions. You will be getting close to the windage screw but i think that it will just make it. I'll check this out useing one of my actions.

Doug,

I'll generously offer to let you try it out on my action - free of charge Big Grin

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I will be trying this. Unfortunately will have to farm it out, I like to do things like this but currently lack the setup.

Todd

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
It truly mystifies me why one would worry about removing the hump and destoying the 'identity' of the action and replacing the bolt handle and putting scope bases on it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i am having a set of redfield bases milled right now in the words of my smith.mill the cheapest parts first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
It truly mystifies me why one would worry about removing the hump and destoying the 'identity' of the action and replacing the bolt handle and putting scope bases on it.

It's called personal preference. What's so mystifying about that?

Besides, the Peruvian actions are oddities and unique looking. The Germans love to use those claw mounts on them partially I think because they are about as high as the charger hump. I and many of my customers used to reserve them for open sight only applications.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
TMG, IMO I would either save the action for an open sight project or at least spring for the side mounts. I think if you drill either ring of that action you'll regret it one day.

Nuff said. Do what you want.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
After a few measurments I don't think the rear base is high enough to clear the top of the stripper clip guide without cutting into the windage screws. thumbdown Of course you could always have a set of high bases made to clear the guide.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
TMG, IMO I would either save the action for an open sight project or at least spring for the side mounts. I think if you drill either ring of that action you'll regret it one day.

more and more, as I've learned to appreciate the rifles I see on the board, I have to agree- if it was mine.

quote:
Nuff said. Do what you want.

Agree, also.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote