THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Model 70 Barrel contour question....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All,

Sort of an odd question, but I am trying to determine if a standard weight bbl contour will fit a barrel channel reasonably well, and don't have a std weight barrel on hand to measure.

Specifically, I was wanting to get a measurement of the barrel diameter about 10 inches in front of the receiver ring. This will give me an idea as to how it might fit the existing barrel channel on a wood stock I have.

Anyone out there have a bbl that they can throw a caliper on?

TIA,

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My edcucated "C" clamp says .745 @ 10"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Duane!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You realize that they have the rear sight swell that the post 64s don't have...

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, yes, I fully realize the rear sight boss is there.

In fact, I was going to ask if anyone had attempted to turn this off, and if so, how it went?

I am guessing that even if you turn down the "hump" to match the contour of the bbl you might still have a slight hole remaining where the forend screw lived....

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned at least one Model 70 with the "dog knot" turned off, and to the best of my recollection, there was no trace of the hole you mention remaining.

Are you aware that Douglas will duplicate the profile of the pre-64 barrel in any caliber you choose (up to .35)? This eliminates the problem of dealing with the gap in the barrel channel left by the rear sight boss.