Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthen LOP?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
I have a recently manufactured M70 FWT that I bought used. It has decently figured wood. Problem is somebody cut the stock down to 13" LOP including the Decelerator pad. Is there any way to make it longer short of putting a bunch of spacers on it or using one of those ugly slip-on pads or restocking it?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Spend 30 bucks on a PRETTY slip-over in leather...

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you mean can you glue a piece of wood to it so it won't show? No.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran into this same issue years ago when I purchased a Niedner custom rifle that was lovely but had about 13 1/8" LOP. I'm 6 foot and normally shot rifles with about 13 5/8". At first, I really worried about this to the extent of even adding a trigger shoe essentially lengthening the pull by a 1/16th. I could never bring myself to use one of the hideous add-on recoil pads and so finally started shooting it at the range just as it was where I normally wore a shooting vest. I found it ok and it got better the more I became accustomed to it. That fall I carried it in our deer woods with a heavy shirt and vest and low and behold began to actually like it. Ever since, this experience taught me two things; First, to "handle" guns with a least a vest or jacket as opposed to a dress shirt and second to spend time in the field with it before doing something that could be regretted later. Good shooting,

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I have a recently manufactured M70 FWT that I bought used. It has decently figured wood. Problem is somebody cut the stock down to 13" LOP including the Decelerator pad. Is there any way to make it longer short of putting a bunch of spacers on it or using one of those ugly slip-on pads or restocking it?

Maybe an Al Freeland target-style buttplate...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOP on a rifle is not that critical, assuming you aren't competing at running boar. As long as your thumb isn't mashing your nose or the scope hitting your brow, it really doesn't matter. Now LOP on a shotgun for clays or wingshooting does matter.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Limbsaver makes a Nitro pad which is 1 1/2" thick, but that doesn't get you very far.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
My other hunting rifles are custom syn stocked at 14 1/8 LOP. At 13 this one feels really short and where I hunt it is generally 80 and above so wearing more clothes isn't very appealing. I have hunted with this rifle for the last year and the ergonomics are starting to bug me. I was looking at the spacers from Brownell's and thinking a couple of 1/2 inch spacers and a new pad may look a little strange but would solve the problem and not be too ugly. What do you think? It will end up with about 2 inches of black on the butt end. Kind of like an ebony fore end but in reverse. Big Grin
I know I could go to a custom stock on this one but am kind of tired of hunting with purely functional guns and wanted one with a bit of decent walnut for a change but a custom walnut stock is beyond Mrs Blacktailer's approved budget.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have someone put a piece of wood on it and then a pad. Nicely done they may even be attractive.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger SxS in the shop right now that needs to be lengthened to 16 1/8. It is presently 14 1/8 so I needed an additional 2". The big problem was the width of the existing stock; only 1.5". I put the pad together with a 1" hard rubber spacer form Brownell's and will have it fitted shortly. problem is, with those pads, you get awful close the the steel insert and more times than not, end up grinding into it for a big "oh schittt!"

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you could buy this stock and be done with it.It has been repaired, but the repair has yet to come loose. I doubt it ever will come apart again.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Spend 30 bucks on a PRETTY slip-over in leather...

I plan on having a leather covered lace up recoil pad made just long enough to cover the extender. The slip-over pad is a good idea too.

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
I once saw a stock lengthened by adding spacers and wood. The spacers seperated the closely but not quite matching wood from the stock, and broke up the effect to the eye. The end result was a good extension that "nearly" matched the existing stock but was very hard to tell.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 377 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a trip to Africa in 1975, I took my then girl friend with me. Anticipating that she might want to hunt, I had a nice little rifle made up using a G33/40 action with a 22" Douglas barrel profiled like a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight, caliber 7X57. As things turned out, she never fired a shot with it, but I did, despite the fact that the pull is about 13 and my normal pull is 14.5". I used it to take acouple of wildebeest, a bushbuck and a record book Peters gazelle.

Long ago I found that I could compenstate for almost any stock lengtrh by moving my left hand forward if the stock was too short and to the rear if the stock was too long. It's almost 40 years later and I'm still shooting the rifle. In fact, it's one of my favorites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those stocks show up as take offs for about $100.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Those stocks show up as take offs for about $100.

I've been keeping an eye on ebay but haven't seen anything that I liked yet. The stock is pretty decent wood for a factory stock.
I just ordered a couple of 1/2 inch spacers and a new Decelerator so we'll see how it comes out.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try CDNN in their online catalog. They sometimes have a good supply of Mod70 stocks.