THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broke my weatherby extractor yesterday.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Just my luck….leaving for a hunt in a few weeks and the thing broke in my garage while checking hand loads for fit and function. I guess in the scheme of things, it’s better that it broke here rather than in the elk woods…should have time to fix it now. The folks at weatherby were great and said they would get a replacement in the mail ASAP.

Looking at the broken part I am amazed at how small and apparently delicate the extractor mechanism is. They must be tougher than they look because I don’t see many people complaining about them breaking.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, look at the bright side, you now have a few weeks to purchase a reliable rifle, and oft the Weatherby on some poor unsuspecting gunshop as a trade-in.

Ya, I have first hand experance with Weatherby quality AND customer service.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Just my luck….leaving for a hunt in a few weeks and the thing broke in my garage while checking hand loads for fit and function. I guess in the scheme of things, it’s better that it broke here rather than in the elk woods…should have time to fix it now. The folks at weatherby were great and said they would get a replacement in the mail ASAP.

Looking at the broken part I am amazed at how small and apparently delicate the extractor mechanism is. They must be tougher than they look because I don’t see many people complaining about them breaking.

Away back when I broke one in my .378 on the third shot. Roy sent a new one pronto. Then in '73 Tom Burgess rebuilt it to .416 Rigby and made a new extractor out of truck spring material.. Never another problem. I had several other Weatherbys over the years and never had any other problems on them.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote