New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Bruno
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen some very fine rifles on this forum and thought I would share some pictures of one that was built in New Zealand

This started life as a "TGF" Bruno model 1 in 22lr, The barrel was shortened to 19" a new front sight with integral barrel band was fitted along with the barrel band approx 1/2 way down the barrel. The trigger was modified and moved to the rear 30mm, new bottom metal was made along with a new catch for the magazine release. Leupold rings were modified to fit directly on the 16mm dovetail. All metalwork was polished and reblued. The stock was hand shaped and features skeleton ebony grip cap, checkerd metal butt plate and exceptional checkering at 24 lpi 4:1 diamonds cut with 60 deg cutters.....and the person that built this rifle also milled the tree that bit of walnut came from.

Sorry my photos aren't the clearest but they are digital photos of his photos.....I will see if I can take some clearer ones.........Kiwi

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Very Very nice. Is that wood on those stocks native to NZ?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
truly beautiful wood beer

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic rifle!

Hey James, are you seeing this? Cool

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Really nice. First rimfire Brno I've seen customized. The milled bottom metal is particularly special. And the checkering.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
What an exceptional little rifle thumb

More pics!

My little Brno Mod 1 is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn,
I may have to get mine out of the safe!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Wow. That is a very attractive and well executed rifle. Makes me want to get a custom rimfire project underway!

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kiwishooter2,

Beautiful rifle. I have a nice Brno Model 2 action that I bought from a member here and am building a 17 HM2 FS rifle on it. The stock on your rifle gives me some ideas.

BTW if you don't mind my asking, is the bottom metal from Kopje in Australia? And, was your gunsmith D F Maisey?

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a high end 22 rifle, and your not helping things out at all... Big Grin

Very nice, I realy like the lines of the stock, love the looks of the grip!

Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blincoe, from up near Nelson way??

I am sure I have seen that rifle..............

Posts: 111 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mehul,

No to both those questions, the bottom metal was custom made by the gunsmith......Kiwi

quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
Kiwishooter2,

Beautiful rifle. I have a nice Brno Model 2 action that I bought from a member here and am building a 17 HM2 FS rifle on it. The stock on your rifle gives me some ideas.

BTW if you don't mind my asking, is the bottom metal from Kopje in Australia? And, was your gunsmith D F Maisey?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct but no pictures have been posted of this rifle before, this is one he has just finished recently.
I have posted some photos of some of Don's Bruno's before and one of them is similar to this only the barrel on it is only 16 1/2 inches long......Kiwi

quote:
Originally posted by Juglansregia:
Blincoe, from up near Nelson way??

I am sure I have seen that rifle..............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some clearer photos of this rifle

I will post some pictures of some of his other rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of his other rifles

Brno #1 FS 16 1/2" barrel

He uses this one as his target 22 for 50 & 100 yd shooting

I love this rifle another Brno #1

Just to show he also works on centrefire rifles

A Brno Fox that was real rusty and missing a few bits when he got it.

BSA Monarch in 30-06

Brno Mauser 98

And a Sako Forester in 243W

Don does not do this as a job this is his hobby and he told me when I talked to him last that he isn't taking on any more work as he wants to finish some of his own projects.....I saw one he started many years ago a BSA Hunter in 222.

One thing I will point out is he does his own metalwork, bluing, stockwork, and checkering......such exquisite checkering the photos do not do it justice.......Kiwi

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kiwishooter2,

Thanks for the reply. It is clear that there are many more fine gunsmiths in your country than those of us who live outside know of. I do wish that they would make their skills better known - works of art like these do not deserve to remain hidden.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree, Don's talents have remained mostly hidden, which is one of my reasons for posting some photos of his work. All his checkering is done by hand and has to be the most precise checkering I have ever seen.

I do know Dean but haven't seen any of his work.

BTW the rifle isn't mine.......but I have been trying to convince Don for the last two years to stock a L/H CZ for me in mannlicher......He just keeps on saying "NO".....Kiwi

quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
Kiwishooter2,

Thanks for the reply. It is clear that there are many more fine gunsmiths in your country than those of us who live outside know of. I do wish that they would make their skills better known - works of art like these do not deserve to remain hidden.

Good hunting!

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Several of those rifles are really slim through the pistol grip and very racy looking!

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two words come to mind...
WOW and Awesome.
Those rifles are exquisite.
Was just thinking about a BRNO Number 1 this morning, but one that is stock, no mods.

Don