New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have found a couple decent mauser 98 rifles that have been converted to 270winny.All have scope mounts already mounted.Is there a correct way to drill the receiver for scope mounts and a wrong way?I think i read one time something about not drilling in the meat/middle area of the receiver.Is this correct or am i thinking of some other action?Also what is a fair price for a 98 large ring action nicely done up with sporter barrel and nice blueing?He had one rifle priced for 675.00 and it had a well done up screw on muzzle brake on a rebarrel,bi-pod & 60s looking boyds? customsporter walnut stock in weatherby style+ 3x9widefield redfield scope from the 70s.. .....I would want to restock so the stock isnt worth much to me anyway...The rifle looked pretty nice but iam really not sure of the price does this sound high.Is there a serial number range i need to beaware of?Thanks in advance! thumb thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
There is one right way & a bunch of wrong ways. One wrong way is for some idiot to drill & tap into the top bolt lug locking shoulder in the receiver. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, Yep, and there are alot of idiots with drills.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote