New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norwegian Kongsberg barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell me more about these Norwegian Kongsberg barrels? I’ve got a 98 Sporter that has one of these in 308. It’s an accurate barrel, more so than me. I had loaned the rifle to a friend last year until he could fund his own purchase and just got it back this morning. He showed me some pictures of his groups using 44 grains of IMR4895 and Speer 165 SP and they were an inch or smaller.

I had this barrel installed maybe 40 years ago and Tom replaced the bolt handle and added a two position safety some time back. Don’t see much about these Norwegian Kongsberg barrels any more.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...I was a little curious, but apparently nobody can shed much light on your inquiry.

However, It would be foolish to believe that USA is the only place on the planet that can make good rifle barrels.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the lack of replies is more due to lack of a question.

Tell you more in terms of what?

If I posted the same post, but put Shilen, Ie Can anyone tell me more about these Shilen barrels, what is the the response you are looking for?

We don't see much about Kongsberg anymore for several reasons, one of which is our intrusive government making it a pain in the ass to import barrels from over seas. More so probably because they don't make Mauser anything anymore and haven't in the last 30+ years. (They stopped any "production" in the 90's?)

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Danish made VAR barrels, for M1 Garands, are shooters! Don't know anything about Kongsberg barrels, though.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kongsberg barrels are (don’t know if they makes any barrels nowadays) hammer forged, the ones I have seen and chambered have been with a hammer forged outside profile. FFV in Sweden made hammer forged barrels that looked, and shot similar groups like the Kongsberg barrels. To order barrels from Norway to USA seems like a unnecessary and complicated way to get blanks! With all the barrel makers in USA available I can’t se the point to try to import Kongsberg blanks…..

Getting good barrels here in Sweden is getting increasingly difficult and really expensive!

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk (arms factory) do not produce hunting rifles anymore..nor barrels.

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A side note on barrelmaking and red tape in Sweden….

A few years back some guys here planned to start manufacturing match barrels. We have great steel and good knowledge about stuff like this here in Sweden so things looked great! This was until they got to a complete stop when the government made it clear that making barrels wasn’t going to happen, the reason for this was that makeing barrels would be classified as “war-material” and is not possible to do as a civilian here in Sweden…..

There have been barrels made here for hunting and even match grade stuff but nowadays I don’t know any way to get a Swedish barrel blank! The regulation of firearms are so tight here that we can’t buy barrel blanks without threads or chamber without a permit Frowner

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sh....! Don't let Biden hear about that one!

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote