THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Rebarreling from Dakota round to a belted magnum?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarreling from Dakota round to a belted magnum?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Dakota has a rim diameter of 0.545" and the belted mags have a 0.532" diameter. Can a bolt for a Dakota round be used for a belted mag if I wanted to rebarrel?

It seems the Dakota brass has a bit thicker rim also. In general do you need to check rim thickness and groove dimensions also when considering such a rebarrel?

I have put dummy rounds in the magazine and they seem to feed fine, although they are not being chambered all the way.

Thank you for any input,

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can't be done correctly (moving from a large to small boltface) and shouldn't be if it could.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
depends on which dakota...

you should be able to do a 404 based round.... on most.

I would suggest selling and starting over, for safety sake

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote