THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Four leaf rear sights like on Type "A" mausers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone make a four leaf rear sight like those found on Type "A" Oberndorf sporters? Recknagle only makes up to a three leaf rear sight, and their rear sight base is extremely tall/thick. Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the Rechnagel ones are listed as three leaf but one is stationery and three folding, I think!!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
check Sarco.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sarco sells the surplus Interarms Whitworth sights; 3 leaves total; I got a box of them.
Recknagel makes three folding and one standing.
I can not find anyone making four leaf sights nowadays.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Recknagel makes three folding and one standing.
I can not find anyone making four leaf sights nowadays.

Neither can I.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for 25 years. At least.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Anyone make a four leaf rear sight like those found on Type "A" Oberndorf sporters? Recknagle only makes up to a three leaf rear sight, and their rear sight base is extremely tall/thick. Thanks
Matt

You might consider taking a mill to the vertical face of the rear (standing) leaf. Making it thinner will also shorten its height. A hand mill works as well as any other, you will just need to be a bit more careful with it. (Hand mill = File)

As with most makes you have to file the notches anyway, to regulate them for the distances you choose, its just one more bit of the same work.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How will that help; what we want is a sight with 4 folder and one standing leaf like the Mauser type A.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to look at the classified (firearms). There is a 416 Rigby being sold that has four folding leafs. Sounds like a custom rifle and maybe the seller (Jens Poulsen) knows where the sight came from.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote