Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle is Done Except for the Shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
The blued metal arrived in the mail on Friday and I put it together over the weekend. I purchased the Remington new in the early 80's as a 270, then it became a 6.5/308 around '87, and now it's a 6.5/284. Jim Kobe here in Minneapolis did all the metal work except for the finish. He trued the receiver, bolt, lapped the lugs, tuned the trigger, and a Sako extractor. I decided to go with a Pac-Nor 26" match chrome-moly tube in a heavy-varmint contour. I have shot Douglas, Hart and Lilja and liked them all but having never had a Pac-Nor and hearing so many good things about them, I decided to give 'em a try. Jim again did all the chambering and barrel work. I bought a set of Talley QD rings and bases but when we installed them, we could not get good ring alignment. Either the bases or the receiver wasn't exactly true, our guess was the rear receiver bridge. So Jim milled a custom set of bases to match the contour of the receiver and bring everything into alignment the way it's supposed to be. I sent the original McMillan stock from 1987 back to McMillan for a new paint job. While there they also opened up the magazine well and turned it into an ADL with a blind mag box. Stock looks brand new and you would never guess it's close to 20 years old. A while back Hill Country Rifles glassed the receiver with Devcon and pillar bedded it and I didn't see any reason to change that so I left it alone. Like my old Winchesters, I love the look of rust blue and although that type of finish on a project like this might be unusual, I decided to go with it anyway. A friend of mine in Nashville recommended Charles Danner, also of TN. He had some 21s reblued by Mr. Danner and gave him high marks. If you are familiar with a reprint of Jack O'Connors Gun Book, Charles did the rust blueing of the Newton rifle on the cover. I figured this would be a good opportunity to put a nice finish on a rifle and see an example of his work so when I build that custom big bore someday I'll know where to go for the finishing. The parts turned out great, all the way from the Williams trigger guard to the barrel. I decided to leave the bolt body blued rather than polished out and I like the way it looks. So I bolted it up and put the Leupold 6-18x back on and now I'm just waiting to see if it shoots as good as it looks. I have a new box of Lapua brass and a whole mess of bullets waiting for me on the bench.

Here's a few pics, I hope they turn out.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Can anyone give me a hand with posting pics? I followed the same rountine in the old forum but I'm doing something wrong.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I'm so happy, I figured it out. Now I can go to bed. Smiler

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Great looking rig. I am almost through building a very similar rifle in 308. I am using a H&H Precision stock and Mcmillan barrel, Badger Ordnance tactical scope rail, Ross tactical rings, etc... It should be a sweetheart.

I am looking forward to hearing how yours shoots.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a fun project as well. I've always thought it would be nice to have a bench/heavy varmint in 308. The weather is hopefully starting to turn here in Minneapolis so I want to get to the range soon. Now I need to start working on load development for the 6.5/284. If anyone out there has some good loads for bullets in the 100-120 grain range, let me know.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
The weather is hopefully starting to turn here in Minneapolis so I want to get to the range soon.

It is supposed to be in the mid 60's here today and it looks like a great day for some shooting. Nice and clear and not even a touch of a breeze. Hopefully I can sneak away today for some range time.

Your 6.5/284 should be a darn good shooter. It is a caliber that intrigues me.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote