New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you make a snap cap ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was wanting to make some for my rifles. But, I can't figure out what and how to put anything in the primer pocker. Any suggestions appreciated

one of us
posted Hide Post
eraser off a yellow pencil, glue it it the primer and trim..... thumb

bolt and lever guns don't need snap caps, just single shots and double rifles and shotguns.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fill the empty primer pocket with silicone RTV, make sure it squishes into the flash hole and inside the case a little. When cured, trim the excess flush with the case head. Done deal.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I use a plug cutter to cut a plug of semi tire tread that I epoxey into a drilled out primer pocket .
Then you cut it flush.
I have some I made 10+ years ago .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the RTV solution too. Simple and works fine.

Don

Posts: 128 | Location: Oregon,USA | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
O ring, spot of super glue cut off flush with base of case

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I would suggest, just so you don't get folks feaking out in a gun club, is to cut the shell down considerably so it does not look like a normal round. One other functional thing you can do is get a bore mop of the correct bore and epoxy it into he inside of the trimmed case. Put some gun oil on the bore mop and you have a good deterant to rust, at least in your chamber.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It think there are dozen ways to skin this cat, I had some closed cell rubber sheets at work, I took some scraps and used my leather puch tool to knock out a bunch, then glued them in cases.

THe pencil eraser worked well in the past but this closed cell rubber lasts longer, and it made a lot more, real quick.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote