New
Find
Notify
Tools

"varmint" cartridges in a long action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been planning my next project and have decided what I really want is a sporter weight in a varmint caliber.I have three heavy barrel 22 centerfires so that's covered. I have a long action stainless 700 in 270 that I can use as a donor.I think the 25-06 is a bit big for varmints with the 6mm Rem being almost as much.I know the 25-06 will fit the mag and feed perfectly,the 6mm feeds OK too as I tried it last nite.I guess a wildcat is in order if I want to use the long action? What about a 6mm-06 or a 6mm-06 Ackley? Anyone have experience with these?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No experience with the big 6, but don't forget about the .220 Howell, which is based on the .30-06.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
Rembo, I owned a 6mm-06 about15 yrs. ago. Built on a 98 Mauser action. It was a very accurate cartridge in this heavy bbl. Got it at an estate sale. An offer came by me I couldn't refuse and it found a new home. For the short time that I had it, I necked down -06 cases and neck sized when reloading. It will be a bbl. heater and uncomfortable in a sporter bbl. configuration for prolonged dog town shooting. I myself would build another 6mm ackley. In a long action 700 Rem. you can seat heavy long bullets further out and still have the speed I think your after in a quick yote thumper.