New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ran out of Adj. on scope now what?? HELP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a model 700 heavy barrel with loopy mts. and a B&L 4200 scope.I dialed scope all the way up and it still hits in the dirt @100yds.Can i shim the scope mount if so how thick of a shim?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wrong bases?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
wrong bases?

X 2 !!! fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
yeah...that don't sound right.

Mismatched rings?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bases were labeled for a rem 700, maybe loopy made a defective base?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You should be able to eyeball the scope tube and easily see if it looks level or parallel with the bolt. Maybe you have a bad scope.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way Mike #6 is my fav. i guess i should find the first person walking down the street and give him my 13 model 700's....lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try new bases, but if that doesn't work, that isn't a problem. Just spin the scope 180 degrees and you'll have a scope perfectly set for a 600 yard zero. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a good straight-edge across the bases, see what you got

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice all but I also suspect the bases. A gunsmith from Gander Mountain was recently fired because he mounted a client's scope with the bases reversed!

Make sure the thin one is in front and the thicker one in the back. Can't remember if the hole spacing is the same or not.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A gunsmith from Gander Mountain was recently fired because he mounted a client's scope with the bases reversed!

i think from meeting a couple of their gunsmiths that that would be SOP

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, you could do what I have done with a couple of my Model 70 classics that have the same problem.

If you don't want to shim up, go to the opposite base and carefully cut it down from the underside.
What I have done is use small curved files and very carefully remove just the tiniest bit of metal from the scope base and then polish with paper, and then try it. You want to really take it easy if you do this. The goal would be to have to do it a few times to fit it in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think either the bases are reversed; as was stated the thin one should be on the front ring.

Or there are mismatched rings. The flat portion of the bottom of the rings should be the same distance to the bottom of the scope saddle. My friend has a shop and occassionally he gets mismatched rings in the package, i.e. low front dovetail ring and high rear windage ring in the same package. I don't know if Leupold goofed or if it happened further down the distribution chain.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Good advice all but I also suspect the bases. A gunsmith from Gander Mountain was recently fired because he mounted a client's scope with the bases reversed!

Make sure the thin one is in front and the thicker one in the back. Can't remember if the hole spacing is the same or not.

How do you mount Rem 700 bases backwards? I can see maybe getting the stock on backwards but...

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Westpac said, you should be able to see the problem. That much low means the scope is pointing waaaay up in the air. You could lay a straight edge on the bottom half of the rings, measure from the base to the bottom of each ring, (should be the same), but I suspect you can see it. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Bore sighting would have told him something was wrong before he fired the first shot.

And I don't have a collimator I just set the rifle in a gun vise Remove the bolt sight on something far away right down the barrel then with out moving anything take a look through the scope.
Gets me on the paper at 100 yards almost every time.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

How do you mount Rem 700 bases backwards? I can see maybe getting the stock on backwards but...

I have seen guns with the front and rear bases reversed; don't ask me how they did it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I seen one that had the SCOPE reversed And thats no joke. Guy had a Winchester M70 bought the scope, ring, and bases on line and installed the scope backwards. Turns out he never shot a rifle with a scope so he had no idea

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have seen guns with the front and rear bases reversed; don't ask me how they did it.

Someone would have had to drill a couple extra holes to do it, and that doesn't even address the radius difference between front and rear.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:

Someone would have had to drill a couple extra holes to do it, and that doesn't even address the radius difference between front and rear.

That statement should have been "someone would have to not know a damn thing about how to mount a scope and have zero mechanical ability to figure it out".

I kinda thought the different hole spacing was to KEEP someone from installing them in the wrong place??? Other then the obvious reason the re is more room on the front ring. Well one more reason in support of a double square bridge

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The hole patterns front and rear are differnt.
You'd have to be beyond stupid to mount them on the wrong ring.
What U can do, is reverse the base so the slot is to the ront or rear, but the bases must go on the correct ring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a Remington 700 fan. I assumed, and we all know what does, that their hole spacing was .860 front and rear like a Win 70. Mismatched rings is still a possibility.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
quote:

The hole patterns front and rear are differnt.
You'd have to be beyond stupid to mount them on the wrong ring.
What U can do, is reverse the base so the slot is to the ront or rear, but the bases must go on the correct ring.

I agree, but like what I said in my original reply about the Gander mountain guy? And from what i was told, it was a one piece base he put on backwards.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree, but like what I said in my original reply about the Gander mountain guy? And from what i was told, it was a one piece base he put on backwards.

Boy that would have to be one Dumb guy. Makes it real hard to load the gun with a scope base blocking the ejection port.

Stranger things have happened.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:

Boy that would have to be one Dumb guy. Makes it real hard to load the gun with a scope base blocking the ejection port.

Stranger things have happened.

Maybe it was upside down and backwards that way he could still load it. killpc

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote