THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Gary Styles Custom Mausers, is he still in the game?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gary Styles Custom Mausers, is he still in the game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recall some years ago (14yrs?)Gary Styles made a switch barrel Takedown M98 in 25/06 & .35Whelen. It was featured in GUNS magazine if my memory serves correctly. Does anyone have photos of that rig...or know if he still does rifle work, I have not heard about him in recent times.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a photo or two of that rifle in Tom Turpin's book, Modern Custom Guns. Stiles is still listed in the ACGG Membership along with a web address too.

ACGG Directory

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary Stiles is indeed still in the game. I spoke with him last month at the Pittsburgh gunshow in the ExpoMart about some bolt work I wanted done.

He is somewhat of a local legend around here...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
some years back at the Cleveland (alas gone) show he had a table and I was very impressed especially by a takedown bolt rifle.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I saw that switch barrel gun 10 years ago or so. It was a 35 Whelen/ 25-06 if I remember correctly. At that time I knew that I wanted to have him make me a custom gun. It has taken a while but I am finally doing it. I dropped off my MAuser 35 Whelen, & turkish wallnut blank just before Christmas.

It will take about 18 months for Gary to complete teh project based upon his current work load.. I saw him in Indiana PA last week & took these pictures of his work, or work in progress. MAybe you guys will be interested in it.

Here is a double rifle that he made for himself, a 45-70 based om a Winchester Model 21

The Flor-DE-Les (sp?) pattern on this montana action was beautiful. I told Gary that this is the one I want on my Mauser.

The rifle at the bottom in this picture is a Mauser 98 22 LR that GAry made by cutting a MAuser 98 down & using the back, and cutting the front off a Springfield Sporter (A 22 LR cal millitary trainer). HE welded them together & made this incredible little 22

The Mauser being worked on in this picture is a clients gun. Gary milled & turned the barrel from a varmint blank. It is a trim mauser based on the "Model B" factory mauser sporter. A great light weight hunter. I am going to have him make one similar to this for me in 6.5x55 or 280.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote