THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Remington 700 Blind Magazine and 3rd Action Screw?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Blind Magazine and 3rd Action Screw?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Building a rifle in 223 on a Remington 700. I am making a walnut stock with blind ADL type magazine. I have fashioned a new short trigger guard from an old Mauser. Question on the Small Front action screw just in front of trigger guard. Should I screw this into the action using hole in front of trigger as per the factory ADLs, or should I just use a blind nut in the stock? The main action screws will be pillar bedded.

And front screw will be in a steel escutcheon. Its going to be circular but how big - 0.5mm bigger than screw head, or width of trigger guard base. Or should I fashion one from a cartridge case??

Ideas please ladies and gents.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd just use the existing third screw into the action like factory. A 1917 Enfield TG modified looks super too. You don't have to do any shaping of the bow. That's what Remington used as a basis for their rifle's TG shape.

https://www.libertytreecollect...d.asp?idproduct=4720

Posts: 3776 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I also use the 1917 trigger guards, but I leave the middle screw out, and just wood screw. How big to make the front escutcheon? Doesn't matter; and yes, you can use a cartridge head for coolness. .5mm bigger? You know we are in the US don't you and have no real idea how big that is. Originals are 5/8ths; .625.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents, over here we talk about mm, inches and ball hairs for fine measurement!

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you made the trigger guard, then the front hole may not have the same spacing as the R700 part? I would just screw it into the stock. I modified a long action R700 like this, but my goal was to increase the internal magazine length so I removed that front guard screw. With a 223 there should be lots of extra room.

How heavy is the barrel going to be? It's not like the 223 has lots of recoil so the pillar and recoil lug setup is probably not very critical.