Find
Notify
Tools

What is Investment Cast?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is investment cast/casting?

I know Ruger rifle receivers are made this way but dunno what the process is.

Thanks for info.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<MC>
posted
In very rough terms:

The part you wish to make is made from a wax-like substance that is invested in a plaster slurry and further invested in some other mold material. The wax part is then melted out and the mold cured.

After the curing the metal is melted and poured or injected into the cavity that the wax left.

Much more to it than that but that is a rough idea of the process.

mc

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Also known as the "lost wax process"

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is called investment because the process was invented by the Jewellers trade. Almost all jewelery is investment cast. I great many titanium parts are also investment cast. I have a friend how works for GE as a jet engineer engineer.

Kent

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mold material is usually a ceramic of some sort and it is broken after the part is cast to release the item. We had a foundry near here that did a lot of items for the aerospace industry and I have accompanied way too many cub scouts through the place. They do fascinating things with it.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
The latest twist on "investment casting" is the "lost foam" process. General Motors (as well as many other manufacturers of complex aluminum castings) Is looking to this method to cast complex cylinder heads and engine blocks. I work @ a "lost foam" foundry as a pipefitter. (GM Powertrain Massena NY) The process is similar in some respects to the "lost wax" process. Cylinder heads and blocks are made in multiple layers from styrofoam. These foam "patterns" are aged in an oven for dimensional consistancy, coated with a ceramic slurry and dried in an oven. They are then placed in a metal box and loose sand is compacted (by vibration) around them. When the molten aluminum is poured in, the foam vaporizes and is burned away. When the "cluster" is removed, compressed air is force through the sand, "fluidizing" it, allowing the cluster to be removed by a robot. The robot then lifts the cluster, turning it allowing the loose sand to flow out of the casting. This process eliminates a lot of machining, (for oil galleys etc.)and may someday be the method of choice for casting most complex castings.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-02-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Fat Bastard>
posted
Those of you who have ever looked at the engine in a Saturn will notice the "styrofoam" surface texture on the cylinder head. It may work just fine, but it sure looks cheap.