New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a Mini Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It will be a 220[Beggs] Russian. A 220 Russian with a different radius between the shoulder and neck. It keeps the brass from lengthening. The Scope bases, bolt handle, 3 pos safety, and he tigged the rear tang as I no longer use the factory safety. Mike Bryant is doing a #1 Shilen barrel at 21" for it. I don't have metric gearing for my lathe. Pictured below are the beautiful mounts that Kerry Stottlemyer built. I forgot, Kerry has done all the metal work except the barrel. I am very satisfied with his work.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Nice. I want to see the rest of it too.

Question: Why not the 22 PPC? Or 6mm PPC?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to do a factory round. I have had many 6ppc and a 22ppc.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Oh, I thought you were doing a wildcat. I opted for the 6.5 Grendel. Perhaps one day, I'll get to shoot it.

KB

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
More can be seen Here

That little action presented more issues then anything I've ever worked on. Nothing about it was a simple operation and everything had to be looked at very carefully before metal was removed. Fortunately Shane Thompson did one already and had a lot of pictures. showing progress and final product.

Butch Thanks for the challenge I enjoyed that project very much It only took six months to deliver

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith seems to be havng many issues with it too. At this time I'm not sure I'll ever see it finished. It's been a long time in the works. It's been so long, that if I had known in advance, most likely I would have never started. Some projects are just not worth the trouble, but sometimes it's just not evident up front, and what to do once committed? It's also not practical to just abandon it.

KB

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
What you do is send it to someone that can complete the work.
That little action requires some very interesting setups to get it cut properly. Not to mention the fact that if you screw it up you're done.
Then there's polishing. Fitting the Dakota safety. There was a lot of work but no reason it should take forever.

I guess I don't work like other smiths. I work on one project until completed and I don't work on anything really involved until that major project is done. If you have multiple jobs going yeah it's going to take some serious time to complete

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
KC,
Could you pass on to us some of the issues you've corrected with the mini-mauser? I have a left-hand barreled action and a semi-inletted stock that will be my walking-around varminter in .223. As soon as I find one of the .22-250 left-hand actions, it will be converted to a 6mm-250 Imp for deer and antelope.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Fitting the Dakota safety.

Not that I am a big fan or Gentry, but he makes them for the mini mauser. I fit one up the other day, took less than 30 mins. Bluing matched and everything. Not that that mattered in your case.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
That little action requires some very interesting setups to get it cut properly. Not to mention the fact that if you screw it up you're done.
Then there's polishing. Fitting the Dakota safety. There was a lot of work but no reason it should take forever.

I guess I don't work like other smiths. I work on one project until completed and I don't work on anything really involved until that major project is done. If you have multiple jobs going yeah it's going to take some serious time to complete

quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Not that I am a big fan or Gentry, but he makes them for the mini mauser. I fit one up the other day, took less than 30 mins. Bluing matched and everything. Not that that mattered in your case.
Don

The Gentry safety has been the biggest setback in time. The first gunsmith just didn't install it right. The second one said it wasn't made right, and didn't fit properly. He went to a lot of trouble to make it fit. I had this problem once before on a standard Mauser, and eventually sent the action to Gentry for fitting their safety onto, and they fixed it. I suggested that maybe the Mini-Mauser safety was an anomaly, and Gentry would replace it, or install it, but my words were not heeded.

I don't know what the problem is for sure with the gunsmith. It seems to me, looking at it long distance, that it's sorta like writer's block, or someone starting a painting and just can't finish it. There could be reasons that I'm not aware of, but I have chosen thus far to not pressure about it. For sure, he has multiple projects, and a life other than gunsmithing. This project, however, is not rising to the top of his priorities. He is a good gunsmith, and I don't want to spoil the relationship. He has finished other projects quickly for me.

KB

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
KC,
Could you pass on to us some of the issues you've corrected with the mini-mauser? I have a barreled action and a semi-inletted stock that will be my walking-around varminter in .223. As soon as I find one of the .22-250 actions, it will be converted to a 6mm-250 Imp for deer and antelope.

There's no real issues with the action itself just what we turned it into. Butch wanted it to look just like a 98 with the side relief and thumb cut. That takes a bit of fixturing to accomplish properly. Aside from the fact of not having any dimension to work off of. It was draw it up and take a good look at it before we start cutting. That was actually the easy part.

Now the reason I didn't go with a Gentry is that there have been some bad reports on them and didn't want to risk it. Modifying the Dakota safety took a full day to do. No big deal but not easy either.

Then you have to do something about the safety lever on the factory trigger as the trigger safety is also your over travel adjustment. I just staked it in place. It is the safest way to solve the issue with out permanently modifying the trigger.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Don

The Gentry safety has been the biggest setback in time. The first gunsmith just didn't install it right. The second one said it wasn't made right, and didn't fit properly. He went to a lot of trouble to make it fit. I had this problem once before on a standard Mauser, and eventually sent the action to Gentry for fitting their safety onto, and they fixed it. I suggested that maybe the Mini-Mauser safety was an anomaly, and Gentry would replace it, or install it, but my words were not heeded.

I don't know what the problem is for sure with the gunsmith. It seems to me, looking at it long distance, that it's sorta like writer's block, or someone starting a painting and just can't finish it. There could be reasons that I'm not aware of, but I have chosen thus far to not pressure about it. For sure, he has multiple projects, and a life other than gunsmithing. This project, however, is not rising to the top of his priorities. He is a good gunsmith, and I don't want to spoil the relationship. He has finished other projects quickly for me.

KB

There's no excuse for taking longer then a week to install a safety other then it not being in stock. I was on the verge of canceling my order with Brownells and reordering a Gentry but the finally got them in stock.

And I'm sorry there is nothing really to installing a three position safety that is already in a shroud. It's cut a groove in the bolt, and grind two angles. The math is done for you. Now the Dakota to Mini mauser is a bit different but nearly the same once modified to fit.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry was a pleasure to work with. You can't go wrong with him.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry there is nothing really to installing a three position safety that is already in a shroud. It's cut a groove in the bolt, and grind two angles. The math is done for you.

I agree generally, but in this case I think there was really something wrong with the safety/shroud. I can't say that for sure, but I just can't imagine that the two gunsmiths who worked on it were the sole source of the problem. They both have lots of experience with installing safties. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's corrected now. Knowing now, what I didn't know then, I would get Gentry's shop involved, if there was an apparant problem with fit, especially a sizable gap between the bolt and the shroud.

I have several Gentry safety/shrouds, and only one other, besides the mini shroud, didn't fit right, and needed to be exchanged.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dakota and gentry have both had timing issues. Brownells swapped them out no issues.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Prof242

I did that very thing with a 22-250 action. I originally made it in 6mm BR. Great performance and handled long bullets, but finally dumped it due to feeding. I thought I had it worked out, but everytime I changed bullet weights, it hiccuped. I ended up taking a 25-06 surplus Weatherby barrel from an ultralightweight and cut it off, rethreaded and rechambered to 250 Savage. I conidered the 6mm-250 before the 6mm BR, and lengthed the magazine to match the longest bolt throw I could get without losing the bolt stop entirely. With the long 6mm bullets, I was too long. With the 250, I couldn't get up to SAAMI spec on OAL (just a few hundreths shy), but I measured every factory cartridge I could find, and they were all short enough to work. I used a B&C stock I had drop shipped from the factory (got it in tan spiderweb) and it looks really good, shoots good and weighs less than 6 pounds.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave up on Dakota shrouds after having a 1:5 success to failure ratio. For a little more money you can a number of shrouds that fit. Recknagel and NECG come to mind.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the little side track about the safeties. Back to the subject, I really like the return to the tradtional mauser look with the side cut. Makes it look like what one would think a mini mauser should look like. Just a scaled down version of the full size rifle.
Don

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
If you want to see what inspired this ( I Think) look Here

I mis spoke it was not James Anderson But Shane Thompson that created this master piece. I just took a good look at what he had done and did my best to reproduce if from pictures

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry, Terry will know, but I believe it is a combo with Shane and James. Very nice work by both.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Thank you for the info on the mini-mauser. Still not sure which caliber I'll turn it into, but plan on sticking to one primary bullet for it.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Kerry, Terry will know, but I believe it is a combo with Shane and James. Very nice work by both.

Possibly knowing how bad I am at remembering names Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com