THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightest synthetic stock, who makes them?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I see McMillans Edge is 22-24 ounces thought I remember hearing of some even lighter.
Right now just looking and thinking.
So who has the lightest ultra light stock out there?
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, Lone Wolf stocks are the lightest. MPI has some very light options as well.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Woodhits thanks.
I just found and followed your rifle build in the Backpacking section, nice fun project.
I see the riflestock you used they say finishes at 15oz, thats really light.
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to get an Edge to finish out less that 25-26 I believe. Bansner is another to look at. Nice stock.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Brown Precision "Pound'r" would be another alternative.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Brown Precision
http://www.brownprecision.com/...re-finish-stocks.htm

At one time they also sold just the blank don't know now.

I have a couple MPI one the 16-20oz the other the 13-16. Both required some finsh work but I'm happy they make a 9oz as well.

http://www.mpistocks.com/blankpricelist.htm

Hightechs are around 21-24oz
http://www.hightech-specialties.com/stocks.html

McMillian makes a 24os edge.

Lone Wolf make a 15oz I have never used one.

http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/stocks/hunting

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If you decide on the Brown, I highly recommend having them do the fitting. I just did one and I'll not do another, at least not if it's Kevlar; It was a royal PITA. The stock came to me rough as a cob, looking like they'd just popped it our of a mold and shipped it. The Kevlar fibers poked out everywhere and I never did figure out how to cleanly cut them. Bury them in glass was all I could do. I fitted a G33/40 with a blind magazine box into it, but the stock is made for the large ring and a small ring looks a bit to small in the stock. I lost track of the hours I spent trying to make the finsih smooth and pit free. No, I dont' want to see another one; give me a nice wood stock any day.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Snell, what action/rifle are you thinking about?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Ted,
M70 Win most likely, possibly a 96 (small ring) Mauser.
Maybe neither maybe both.
Just going over a couple projects in my head trying to work out the feasibility.
Planning more long and steep walks next hunting season and as old as I'm getting I may need an advantage like a super light rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TooMany is much too modest. It is my rifle, 7X57 and he did a master job with not much to work with...however, with ultrlight 3X9 Leupold it weighs 6'13" and balances great. Some sunlight and free time on a Saturday and I will get photos and to the range. A rifle deamed about for over 40 years. Thank you again John.
Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I thought Ultralight arms made the lightest stock on the market. No?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My M 98 Brown Kevlar 'Pounder weighed 15 oz as shipped...I have a Kevlar Edge from D'Arcy E. for a Pre '64 and it runs 20 oz as shipped (and it would be so much easier to deal with, but 5oz on stock, 8 oz on action and 6'13" becomes 7'10" real quick--but Echols stock is REAL nice...) Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Snell,
I am glad this thread didn't go the "get in better shape" route.....I wish I could keep up with you this past year

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

I don't believe that Melvin will sell you a stock without a rifle bolted to it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck getting a hold of Lone Wolf, it's been 4 weeks since I e-mailed them, and 3 weeks since my 2nd phone call, the people that answered both times promised I'd get a call back as they couldn't help me.
McMillian on the other hand responded within 1 hour to my e-mail and the people that answered my calls were able to assist me right than.

Needless to say, I'm getting a McMillian stock.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
Good luck getting a hold of Lone Wolf, it's been 4 weeks since I e-mailed them, and 3 weeks since my 2nd phone call, the people that answered both times promised I'd get a call back as they couldn't help me.
McMillian on the other hand responded within 1 hour to my e-mail and the people that answered my calls were able to assist me right than.

Needless to say, I'm getting a McMillian stock.

That's a shame and you are right, McMillan's products and customer service are top-notch.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

I don't believe that Melvin will sell you a stock without a rifle bolted to it.

He will if you own a Colt Light Rifle. He makes one to fit and takes a lot of weight off.

But then if you already own a Colt Light Rifle you don't have to go through this exercise.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote