New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Needed - FFL Issue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’m having some difficulties with a dealer who was supposed to be organizing an export permit for me for a couple of rifles. The rifles were shipped to him mid last year. There were some delays on my side getting the appropriate import permit and paperwork to him, but all that was sorted by August and he was supposed to have lodged the application for an export permit then.

After chasing him around for the past couple of months, not having any communication from him etc, I finally received this email today:

“Hello Gentlemen: [edit - I guess I’m not the only one with a problem here]
I am sorry for the delay in response. The ATF has shut down my operations. All firearms have been siezed. Apparently, the ATF has found some "irregularities" in my paperwork. My attorney who is handling the case, indicated that the ATF has overblown the facts. I am trying to recover your firearms. Please be patient.
Regards,
xxx xxxâ€

As soon as I received the email I tried calling him, but once again only voice mail. I left a message but somehow doubt he'll want to speak to me. Frowner Frowner Frowner

What to do now? I tried calling the ATF FFL eZ Check number 1-877-560-2435 but could only get voice mail. Does anyone have another number I could try at the ATF to at least confirm the email?

Any help would be appreciated,

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Washington DC Field Office: (202) 927-8810

ATF web site: www.atf.gov

EZ-Check is just a place to verify a licence.

If you tell me what state your dealer is in I would be more than happy to give you the phone number of the local AFT field office in his area.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The word that I heard was that there is a move by the government to hurt gun owners by cutting out about 50% of the FFL holders, that they recently did a big "review" of ALL documentation from the time the FFL holders got their license and if ANY mistakes were found they were pulling the license. I don't know the accuracy or all details, I did hear we lost a couple of shops here and the one that I used to frequent just dropped the one FFL all together and began operating under the partner's. if you are in business long enough you will make a mistake eventually.

to your situation I don't know, there must be some law that lets you claim your guns, I am sure somebody here has had simliar situations before.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume that import/export licence holders are looked at a whole lot more than domestic dealers are...especially if they are dealing in large numbers of rifles being shipped to foreign countries.

I have an FFL and have never had any problems, and have never had an agent come to inspect my records or my inventory. I keep good, up to date, and accurate records and I do not store my personal collection with my inventory. I even go so far as to keep all my personal weapons tagged as such even though they are not stored with the inventory. Better safe than sorry!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick. So the nearest Field office is the first place to try? That's the information I was looking for.

The dealer is in Norton, MA. Guess I'll try the Boston field office this afternoon.

- stu

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
Thanks Rick. So the nearest Field office is the first place to try? That's the information I was looking for.

The dealer is in Norton, MA. Guess I'll try the Boston field office this afternoon.

- stu

I would just assume that the field office closest to his place of business would have the info of what actually happened, where your rifles are, and what you have to do to go about getting them.

The Boston field office number is (617) 557-1200

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,
I spoke to someone in Industry Operations today in the Boston field office. He was very helpful, took down all the details. He couldn't (or wouldn't) confirm anything straight away. I'll be speaking to him again on Monday.

At least it's a start.

- stu