New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refurburshing, Shining Up Rifle Stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I own, amongst other rifles, an older Sako HB .222 and a new Tikka T3 .223.

The older Sako stock, whilst defintely not abused, could do with a " cut and polish" , then I would like to seal the then shining stock with something like a clear laminate ( a bit like the Remington 700 BDLs).

The Tikka stock , whilst new, is a bit dull and flat. I would like to make it more weatherproof, attractive to view ,and then seal that finish as with the Sako.

Doubtless similar requests/threads have been posted in the post. If so, could someone please point me in the right direction.

Also, I do not wish to have to sand both stocks back to remove the present colour etc. I simply wish to enhance and seal what I already have.

So far as materials, finishes go, please note that as I live in Australia, many of the standard US products will not be available to me, unless say ,they are on Brownells or Sinclair sites. Cabelas, going on past form , will not ship anything firearm related overseas. Also, I have a real issue with their shipping costs being 20% of the prime cost of the item. Not so bad for reloading presses, but over the top on light to ship items.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m sure that you have paint stores and places in Australia that build wood furniture don’t you?

Call up either of those and ask what products they have (or would suggest) that will highlight, seal and protect a natural wood finish.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would use something like a citrus stipper to remove the old finish and not raise the wood grain. That would minimize or negate sanding. then you could purchase one of the Birchwood Casey refinish kits that comes with all the materials needed to finish the job. Take your time and be patient and do not try to put too heavy of a coat on the stock at one time.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote