Find
Notify
Tools

Removing integral ramp
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted
I have just received my barrel back after the integral rear sight ramp was removed by turning it off on a lathe (by a qualified gunsmith). When I informed the guy who will build my rifle (another gunsmith)he told me that I made a huge mistake to remove the sights and that the "barrel memory" will now have been disturbed and accuracy will be severely compromised as a result. Any opinions? Thanks, Adam

Posts: 76 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a slight possibility that the bore relaxed at the ramp location. The only way to know is shoot the rifle.
The first gunsmith obviously thought it was ok and it will probably be ok.
Shoot it and find out before your go on to more drama.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True that the barrel has been changed with regard to its stress pattern. As for severely changing its accuracy, you will have to shoot it to determine that, but it likely will be fine. The last 2 inches of a barrel are the most important.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt it will have any negative effect on accuracy. It most likely would change point of aim if it's already stocked, but accuracy might even improve.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why on earth did you have the integral ramp removed? Big Grin

I do not think that it will be any issue. I find steel does some amazing things for gunsmiths that just are not an issue in the manufacturing world. Roll Eyes

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Why on earth did you have the integral ramp removed? Big Grin

I do not think that it will be any issue. I find steel does some amazing things for gunsmiths that just are not an issue in the manufacturing world. Roll Eyes

I'm installing a quarter rib with express sights.