Find
Notify
Tools

Old Remington 12guage SxS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I was in the gunshop today and spotted an old Remington SxS 12 guage. No markings except Remington Arms and the serial #. What model is this? Asking price was $300. Whats the story on these?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Details son, details.

Was it hammered or hammerless?

How was the forend attached? Push button release or snap on?

Steel or damascus barrels? Any engraving?

Condition?

Cannot help you without more info, on fair pricing or model.

I have owned and shot several Remington SxS, so know something about them.

1874 - Hammered, with lifter over tang to break action open.

1889 - Hammered, with conv. thumb break.(1885-1887 are other posiblities, but rarer)

1894 - Hammerless, push button release on forend.

1900 - Hammerless, snap on forend. (Cheaper/updated 1894)

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Hammerless
snap on
steel
No engraving
old but looked shootable
Tang safety
If I remember correctly the serial # began with a Q or G

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That would be a model 1900.

Posts: 25 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whats the story on these?

I forgot you wanted details. They made these from 1900 to 1910. They made around 40,000 of these in 12 and 16 ga with a couple of very rare 20 ga made. They were Remington's field grade gun. Very sturdy if in good shape. They also commonly come with automatic ejectors as these were a $5.00 option when they were made. One quick way to tell if a hammerless Remington is an 1894 or 1900 is that the 1894 serial number starts with 1 and the 1900 starts with 3. The 1894 also frequently have a P preceding the SN and the 1900 also frequently have a Q preceding the SN. Hope this helps

Posts: 25 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
What are they worth in decent condition?

spinksranch.com

posted Hide Post
In decent operable condition if it is 100% original I would say that it is worth at least $500.00. If is not 100% original $300.00 is not a bad price.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
A plain unengraved one may also be a Model 1910, which was simply an unadorned version of the Model 1900.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
I have one that I shoot with light 1oz field loads. The finish is worn off of the metal and the stocks are in poor condition but it locks up like a bank vault. I am looking forward to restocking it and having the barrels overbored to clean up the light pitting. A guy that collects them told me to choose a load that generates less than 8000 psi for use in these guns. I use a load that is rated at 6200 psi to be on the safe side. I would have the gun checked out by a reputable gunsmith before firing.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
The loads wildcatter refered to are great for any break open action. No need for a high pressure load to get the same velocity as with a low pressure one.

loud-n-boomer, Remington stopped making all models of SxS shotguns in 1910. The 1900 was the last model.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote