New
Find
Notify
Tools

J.P. Sauer Mauser Q
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not to highjack the thread below regarding the beautiful Ms. Forster stocked Sauer I have one very similar that is also a LaBounty rebore in 35 Whelen. Unfortunately I am now away from my rifle so cannot post close-ups. It is marked as Mr. Hughes describes on his website. As are the details he mentions of the barrel. Were all of these rifles built on the same Oberdorf actions as the one discussed? Here is the only photo I have of mine. I do know that the bolt knob was replaced by the previous owner. Any comments are appreciated.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned or handled many of these and all I have found were indeed Oberndorf actions but I have never seen a Sauer with a spoon handle but am sure it is possible. My opinion is that the Sauer had the most magnificent oct to round ribbed barrel ever produced.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The custom J.P.Sauer Mauser by K. Forster has a true Oberndorf Sporting action, large ring, small barrel shank, purchased directly from Mauser Oberndorf prior to WWI. Some of the Sauers were built on military actions also depending on availability of commercial actions. The commercial pear shaped Mauser bolt handle is distinguishable from the round knob and shorter bent down shank.

Posts: 116 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add linkguns for sale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crf:
The custom J.P.Sauer Mauser by K. Forster has a true Oberndorf Sporting action, large ring, small barrel shank, purchased directly from Mauser Oberndorf prior to WWI. Some of the Sauers were built on military actions also depending on availability of commercial actions. The commercial pear shaped Mauser bolt handle is distinguishable from the round knob and shorter bent down shank.

Appreciate the reply. How does one determine if the action is "a true Oberndorf Sporting action, large ring, small barrel shank, purchased directly from Mauser Oberndorf prior to WWI"?

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many variations of Mausers but some of the things I am aware of on the Sauers are, separate serial numbers (diferent than the Sauer) on the action, on the back outside wall of the magazine box and last two,three or four digits on smaller pieces, all different than the Sauer numbers. On a standard large ring comercial action the bolt guide rib will extend to the rear of the extractor. See the Hughes picture. A military bolt guide rib ends about an eighth of and inch short of the rear of the extractor.To see if you have a small thread barrel shank you will need a standard large ring mauser to compare with ie 98k or FN comercial barreled action/gun. Remove the bolts, with a good light look into the extractor slot in the action, you will be able to see and compare visualy the distance of the barrel shank to the action. If they look the same, you have a large ring large barrel shank, standard action the most common - it could still be a comercial action. Of course a good sign of a comercial action is the pear shaped mauser bolt handle with the last four digets of the mauser serial on the top of the root.
Also a styilised mauser M stamped on the bottom of the action. I hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do appreciate the detailed reponse. When I get home I will give it a detailed look. Thanks again.