New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to finish ebony foretip?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Title pretty much asks the question. Finish I used for the stock? Linseed? Renaissance wax? What's the best? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I finish ebony tips right along with the stock. I usually wipe them off quickly with a rag damp with Acetone to reduce the oil content close to the surface but if I forget I don't seem to have any trouble anyway.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I just finish them with the rest of the stock too. Make sure they get well sealed, on the inside & outside, or they can crack. I use TruOil on just about everything, works best for me, but alot of guys like Permalyn.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ditto what has already been said. Just make sure it is sealed well.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! 1st coat is on as we speak.Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I use a shellac schmear, nice thing about shellac (depending on what you want) is it imparts almost no color.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote