New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garand in .35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's possible to modification a Garand to .35 Whelen in 18" barrel (similar to Tanker model)?
Thanks in advance
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am nowhere near an expert in Garands, but I think that if you were using heavy bullets, 250 grs., that that could possibly damage the operaing rod. There is a site called Fulton Armory that has a big section on the Garand and they might be able to help you.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember several years ago Springfield Armory, Inc. advertised M1A rifles (M14 derivative) in .358 Winchester (along with chamberings of .243 WCF and 7mm-08 Remington). I have no idea how well they worked or how many rifles were actually manufactured, but I would think that a .35 Whelen would work in an M1 as well as a .358 WCF would function in an M14-type rifle.

The thing you would need to take into consideration is developing a load that would have a comparable gas volume and recoil impulse, as compared to .30-caliber M2 Ball ammunition. Though Remington has offered their 7400 rifles in .35 Whelen, their factory loads were not developed with the Garand in mind.

As mentioned previously, Fulton Armory would be a good source of information on this type of conversion, or maybe post this same question on http://www.jouster.com in the M1 Garand section.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No idea how good or bad these conversions are but this company converts Garands to 338 Winchester http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/garand/garand.html

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good ideas!
Thanks to all thumb

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote