New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem J-lock replacement
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new Rem VLS in 204 Ruger came in today with the J-lock feature which doesn't appeal to me. I know I can get a replacement shroud without the lock along with a new firing pin and spring. The question is do these replacement assemblies enhance the performance of the rifle or am I just spending money for something, in my mind, to make the gun look better? Thanks in advance for replies. Chief.

Posts: 115 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put one on my 700 ADL (also in 204) mainly because I didn't like the looks of the J-lock and the way it seems Remington "stuffs" what looks like an oversize spring into the bolt housing. As far as improved accuracy, at this point, I haven't seen any. I'm still playing with loads, but right now I'm not real impressed with this rifle. Time will tell.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tubbs makes what you want as does Gre-Tan and you can buy just the shroud or the entire firing pin assembly. I put the Gre-Tan complete assembly on my Model 7 .223 and really like it. I know it's hard to tell but the lock-time seems noticably faster to me. Cost me about $75 as I recall.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did this conversion on my 22-250. It was very accurate to start with and I did not notice any difference in accuracy.
This is a LH rifle. The j-lock interferred with my ability to thumb off the safety because it protruded next to the safety. For some reason Remington only made the j-lock protrude to the left even on LH rifles which puts it right next to the safety. By eliminating the j-lock the safety can easily be manipulated without having to look at it.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote