Find
Notify
Tools

Protecting metal after removing blueing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jshoney
posted
I want to remove the blue on the bolt on my sporterized mauser so it will look like the one below(pic stolen off another forum).

My question is, after I remove the blue and polish, do I need to put anything on the metal other than the usual light coat of oil?

Posts: 146 | Location: Walburg, TX | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A light coat of oil should do just fine. Some guys will use a light coat of clear lacquer or poly from a rattle can, that also works pretty well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I just keep it oiled. With Gun oil or a machine oil not WD40 or liquid wrench or some junk like that. That stuff is all solvent and little oil

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011...ativeASIN=B0011G0HT6

The state-of-the-art Boeshield T-9 formula applies thinly for maximum penetration, displacing moisture while attacking existing corrosion. It dries to a light, waxy film lubricating and protecting all metals for months.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another that comes to mind is plain 'ol Johnson's paste wax or Neutral Kiwi shoe polish.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Wax works wonders, blued or not.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey jshoney, I notice you are in TX. If you use DEET, it will cut through Car Wax as fast as the government is putting our Great-Great-Great-Great Grandkids in debt.

If you oil it or lube it, that will protect it but make it a mess to handle. Or you can wipe it down each day - to keep the Rust away.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really really polish it on a buffing wheel until the metal is like a mirror it should not rust at all. You just have to take care not to round any sharp edges!

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote