Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Acraglass didn't set up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lars,
It may or may not set up, give it three or four days and see.....The mixture is a measured 1x4 mix with accraglas, and a proper mix is needed. Accragel is much more user friendly and requires 50-50 mix...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two things come to mind.

It seems to me that the acra-products seem to work best when fresh. How old was yours?

You can speed the process up by keeping it warm. Bring it in the house, use a heat lamp or set the parts near a heat vent.

Good luck.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45, give it a little more time. It usually takes 2 to 3 days to reach full hardness. Temperature while using it is important for it to set faster. too cool and it will be tacky longer. I have had accra glass that was 10 yrs. old still work and I also had some that had sugared. I heated it a little to smooth it out and it still worked. At least the broken stock I repaired is still together after 15 yrs.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
My Acraglass was about 3 months old. I had it in the gun room in the basement overnight. I put it next to a portable heater/fan in the bathroom for a couple of hours. it seems to be hardish now. I think I'll give it a couple of days before I try to shoot it though. This is for my 470 project. I have the barrels turned down some and will try to get them to regulate next time out.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Humidity seems to be a bigger problem than temp although both will affect cure. Since this it is a chemical cure it will happen with time. Long and slow is always better than short and fast anyway. Just ask your lover.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote