New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twist for 30-30
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am currently in the process of re barrelling an older Winchester 94 action. I plan on shooting 150gr Barnes XFN exclusively. The barrel will be 20" in length, and I would expect muzzle velocity to be approximately 2300fps. What twist would you recommend for peak accuracy with this combination.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the standard 30 cal twists will work fine here (1-10 to 1-12). A couple of things though, I wouldn't restrict myself to one bullet, sometimes X's shoot well in a rifle, sometimes they don't. Also, 2300 in an old 94 might be pushing it a little. Work up slowly. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being carefull is the primary concern when reloading.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Barnes and ask them.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will do that. apperantly the 150gr barnes is quite long.
out of curiosity, a couple of years back PMC introduced a 30-30 round. Elderado starfire was the name of the line if I am not mistaken, it had a solid copper bullet with a large hollow point. Whose bullet did they use?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas, I might be mistaken, but I think that was a Barnes bullet. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i looked it up on pmc's website, and you are correct!