Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a "local" smith
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted
I moved to the southern end of the Walla Walla Valley last year and I am wondering if there is a rifle smith close to me that can do a decent re-barrel on an old (and butchered) 03A3 for me.

The gun as I bought it (cheep) has had a removable floor plate added (which is poorly fitted) and the receiver was drilled (botched badly) for a scope. The bolt handle was turned for a scope and the "weld" was held together with slag and broke while working the action and has been replaced (by me) with a standard military bolt. The stock is in fair shape but really needs to be bedded and refinished once the barrel is replaced.

I want to rechamber to 257 Roberts. Does anyone know of a competent smith in the South-Eastern area of Washington state?

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should have no trouble finding someone to tackle that - piece of cake! Eeker Wink

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
come a little north to Spokane and talk to Roger Biesen.

born and raised in WW. my family is still there. love the valley!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a very good smith just over the border in Pendelton.OR. Wayne York owns Oregunsmithing. Was mentored by Bob West. I'm not in the shop just now. Will get phone number tomorrow.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Local could mean your local post office; do you need to meet face to face with a GS?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oregunsmithing L.L.C. Phone number is 1-541-278-4177. I mentioned Bob West as Wayne's mentor. What I didn't say was that Bob was an ACGG member for many years. I was born/raised a KHS Lion. Know your area well. Tell Wayne I sent you. Great craftsman in his own right.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
come a little north to Spokane and talk to Roger Biesen.

born and raised in WW. my family is still there. love the valley!

From Biesen's website....

He wanted me to remind everyone that he is almost 70 years old. I am not sure if this is the transition of him retireing but at this time he is no longer accepting any new work.

thanks for that update. I hadn't heard about Rogers' health issues. He's a hoot to talk with and it's a shame there isn't an apprentice in the shop to carry on after Roger calls it quits.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
I sent an email to Wayne to see if Thursday would be a good time to get together to view the gun and talk about what it will take to make it a shooter.

I did tell him that you recommended him and generally described what it was that I had and wanted. I'll let you know how it goes.

Paul

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I left the rifle for Wayne on Thursday afternoon - he never got my email and wasn't available when I got there but we talked today. By the time I get this one fixed and a new barrel on it he said for $300 dollars more he could build a stainless custom for me. I think this one is a "no go".

So I will start looking for a 257 Roberts to buy cheap enough to put a heavier fast twist barrel on it. Looking for 1:9 twist and a heavy - not necessarily bull - barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JES Gunsmithing is fairly close.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote