New
Find
Notify
Tools

misaligned receiver holes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought small ring swedish rifle (late commercial 1954) that had known misaligned receiver holes that had been closed by welding and drilled and tapped again. It came with bases (redfield turn in type) that had been fitted to the gun. I mounted a set of talleys and my 3-9X40 Zeiss conquest.
I sighted the rifle and it took all the adjustment to get it to zero... all the way to the right. nothing left... It did zero and shoot a very small under one inch 3 shot group... touching!
I love the rifle... but now i either need to go back to the bases fit... which i want talleys! or shim, or to the gunsmith for welding and new holes.
Shiming doesn't set well with me... and leaving it without any adjustment doesn't either... I want talleys... I guess i could have some talleys fit to the action...
What advice can you give me? Oh by the way it is a custom stocked 9.3X62.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen more than one Mauser with an oddly-shaped rear bridge. One such rifle had been D&Ted a second time to try to correct the situation but the hole alignment wasn't the problem. An off-center lump on the rear bridge was causing the rear base to tilt to one side, using up all the windage. I filed the lump lower and all was copacetic.

Even if your rear bridge seems OK you might consider filing down one side of it slightly & inconspicuously to try to bring/tilt the rear base into better alignment. Shouldn't take much if you're lucky.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Here is a case of Check everything before you proceed.
If you have access to a mill set the receiver up and indicate the holes to find out what is off.
Once you now what is wrong then you can correct from there

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Another way to do it is to make a set of custom bases. Tally style mounts are not difficult to make if you have a mill, a boring bar, and the correct angle cutter.

Do the base blocks, attach them to the rifle, and then finish milling them on the rifle held in an action holding jig in a vise so that the bore center line is in the right place.

When so done, the holes in the mounts for the screws holding them to the action may be off center ... but you won't notice them when the rings are mounted.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have had similar experiences with more than one rifle.The easiest route is to put the adjustable mount back on,however,with weaver type rings,it is possible to reverse one of the rings to gain some windage.If you have a bore sighter that fits in the end of the barrel,it is easy to see what,if any, difference reversing one or the other ring makes.Im not even sure if that is possible with talleys ,but it has worked a few times with remington semi autos that had badly drilled receivers.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! food for thought...

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easiest fix would be to use the Burris Signature rings with the offset insert kit. This would allow you to align the scope to the bore, and have plenty of adjustment. But if you insist on Talleys, this isn't the solution.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shimmed the base on one side twenty thousands and this put it totally in alignment. I took the gun apart and measured from the botom of the action to the top of the bases on each side and every thing apears square. I turned the scope knobs until they were in the middle ground and bore sighted it to find it looks right on. problem solved... i think... must shoot it now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with hoghunting;the Burris rings with the inserts can cure a lot of ills, one needs to also buy the extra set of inserts that will give you more range. The insert kits last time I looked were in the $10 range. I