New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x68 RWS Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at my to do list for next year. I'm interested in Having a 8x68 RWS made up on a Mauser. The maximum listed COAL is 3.425. That is longer than a 30-06 length aftermarket magazine.

Is it recommended to use a .375 H&H magazine, have the standard length aftermarket magazine milled out in front, or just load the cartridges to 3.34" or less in length.

I would like to use a Swift Blackburn standard magnum magazine if appropriate.

Thank you in advance for any and all edjumacation on this topic.

Charlie

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The Blackburn/Swift short mag unit is almost spot on in measurements at the rear, the front (shoulder)needs tweaking. It is 3.400" so a little work on the length is required. The .375 unit is much too long.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dude! That is exactly what I was after. I can file about 0.040" off in a short evening.

I was recently quoted $250.00 as the cost of grinding a Mauser action front and back. At that rate, replacing my stolen K.O. Lee B300 is starting to make sense. That, or using a 1/2" carbide end mill with or without an indexing device on the Bridgeport. I still have 16 Mauser actions (Czech VZ 24s and some Argentine 1909s). A winter's worth of grinding would probably help pay for the K.O. Lee even.
Thanks for the information Mike.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote