Find
Notify
Tools

How common is staining a gunstock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
STRAX, let me tell you about Mr. Freeman. I bought a blank from him that turned out to be too small for the pattern I had. He took the stock back and sent me dozens of pictures of blanks for me to go through. He loaded his pickup truck full of wood and meet me in Cincinnati to go through it in person. The piece I really liked was questionable. He said to go ahead and get it turned. If it didn't work out he would replace the wood and pay the duplicater for his time. Everything worked out ok though.

That's service above and beyond the call of duty! Another big + in my book is he gave generously to The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle fund. I'll need 1 more piece of wood before this is all over with. More than likely Luxus will get my business.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Yes, i read that thread, that is why i put his name out there. The only dislikes i have with there web page is i would like to see better pictures and blank measurments. There was a blank there i would have gave my left not for and made a call, asked me to make an offer, i was to embarrassed to tell him what i could afford...They too are good people!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yea, the web page needs tweaked. Wink It's best just to call and describe to him what you want your blank to look like and wait for pictures. He told me he has thousands.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gun toter:
My problem exactly with Murat. Blanks never look as good in person as his photos.

How do you know? Did you ever bought from Murat/ or Chiron?
Cheers

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I believe the stocks of many production rifles are stained, many with some of the worst gunk in the world for hiding good figure.

A couple of years back, I refinished the stock on an H&K .308 semi-auto owned by a friend. While stripping the old finish, I found that it consisted of some dark brown crap that was almost a form of paint! You could truly not really make out the figure in the wood. When that stuff was all removed, the stock proved to be many shades lighter than it had appeared as-issued. It turned out to be a very nicely-figured piece of close-grained European walnut, and finished up very pretty. I suppose they slopped that crap on all their stocks, probably because many were NOT as nice as this particular example.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote