Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 500 vs. 590???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
I truly HATE it when a manufacturer's own marketing materials don't supply useful information. That is the case with Mossberg and their shotguns. I can't find anything delineating these two models on their website or in their catalog.

Help me out, por favor. What are the differences between these two? If my hunch is correct, there probably isn't enough real difference to warrant having two separate models, at all.

Thanks, in advance,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY,

Essentially, the 500 is a "hunting" gun, the 590 is a "defense" gun.

The 500 has 4 round magazine (with plug to make it two), the 590 holds 8. 500 has screw-in choke, 590 is cylinder bore. 500 has longer barrel length, 590 is ~18".

Hope this helps,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Bill:

I wish it was that easy, my friend. Unfortunately, there are multiple special purpose/defense versions of both the 500 and the 590. That is the root of my frustration.

Here's a taste:

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

Thanks,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY,

I see what you mean, they've added a lot of different models since the last time that I looked at them!

Still looks like the 590 is short barreled (18.5 & 20")/high capacity (8-9 shot)/cylinder bore choke, while the 500 is longer (22, 24, 26, 28")/regular capacity (5/6 rds)/"accu-choke" (screw-in tubes)?

I'd say that if you want to use the gun for hunting, get a 500; if it's for "fun" or home defense, get a 590?

I think the only difference in the receivers is the magazine tube length, though some 590s are also tapped for ghost-ring sights.

Maybe I don't understand what differences you are looking for. What is the intended purpose?

Bill

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The 590 has the attachment ring farther forward then on the 500, so you can't use the multitude of 500 replacement barrels on the 590. I'd wanted to make my 590 into a hunting gun, but ended up selling it and getting a Benneli Nova.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten about that - thanks Paul.

I think that's the jist of it - if you want a hunting shotgun, don't get a 590!

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
there are other differences such as the 590 having more metal parts (safety for one) in places where the 500 has plastic. Go to this website and scroll down to the article/links at the bottom. It will explain everything

http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/mossberg.htm

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY,the 590 was built to meet a Millitary contract for the U.S.Army,some of its parts were tuff'en up just a little,the bbl's tend to be a little heavier also,the 590DA is suppose to give you a double action only trigger that is along the lines of the double action pistol used in the LE field.several of my troops carry the 590 it is a robust weapon and is the only one I've seen hold up against the Renington 870 after going thru the week long shotgun class at Blackwater,the adjustable rea sight looks a little flimsy,but seems to work.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Dave:

I agree...the 590 is robust. I used one extensively while a member of a Marine Corps Security Force Company in the early '90s.

I was just curious as to the internal differences between the two. Looks like I have my answer.

Thanks,
RSY

<powderfinger>
posted
Don't forget about the 590 A-1
It's the one with the metal trigger guard and safety button and the heavier barrel.

Sorry, just had to muddy the water some more. [Big Grin]

And yes, getting info about Mossberg shotguns is an exercise in futility. I think the receivers are the same but the barrel options are different.
500 and 590 barrels are not interchangable.

Your best bet would be to write down the things you want in your shotgun and go to a dealer that has a listing of the various models and go from there.

Good luck,

Larry