New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting AI chamber without a pilot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to rechamber a 30-06 barrel to the AI version. I have a solid pilot 280 AI reamer so the pilot will not support the front of the reamer. If I get the barrel setup properly in the lathe and use a floating reamer holder will the reamer follow the original hole well enough to cut a concentric chamber?

I thought about making a bushing but it would be a very thin bushing and I wonder if it is really necessary? Also this is for a hunting rifle, not a bench rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Dave Kiff will alter your reamer to take interchangeable pilots. I assume most other reamer-makers will as well....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only time a pilot IS needed is when following someone elses hole. For a 1 shot use, you can make a pilot out of tool steel, harden it and loctite it over the original. Make sure it has sufficient clearance, is highly polished with smooth, polished, rounded edges. Did I mention smooth and highly polished? Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only time a pilot IS needed is when following someone elses hole. For a 1 shot use, you can make a pilot out of tool steel, harden it and loctite it over the original

I've done it both ways. If I was going to use it more than once I would convert the die. Clymer did mine. About half the cost of a new die. But I have also did it the same way as malm suggested. Also made my own tips for a reamer with a removable pilot. Not really much difference.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
to actually answer the original question - not no but hell no! The use of an unsupported reamer will not work and lead to very bad things. You have to support the front of the reamer

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to send it in for one chamber. I will see what I have to make a bushing out of. Thanks for the info.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you know you will never use the reamer again for anything else, well making your own temporary pilot will be okay. BUT, what if someday you want a .35 or a.338 or something else bigger diameter than the .280 on that same case? If you have the reamer converted, then all you have to do is undo the pilot holder (usually a screw) on the converted reamer, slip on the appropriate pilot, replace the holder, and go. In the long run, if you are going to use the reamer for anything else, ever, converting it now will save a lot of time and money.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a good point. I will think about it at the silhouette match today!