Notify
Tools

Magnaporting???????????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Guys:

I just bought a like new 378 weatherby mag in a MKV Lasermark. The previous owner had the gun magnaported. This is the first gun I have ever owned that was magnaported. All my other big bores wore brakes of some sort.

So here is the question. What can I actually expect the MP to do for this gun?

I have fired the 378 Bee hundreds of times without the brake and I must admit the muzzle flip is by far the worst I have ever experienced. Scope breezes my eyebrow almost every time! The rearward push is not an issue.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, (one Mod70 in 338), the muzzle wil stay down and it will kick the crap out of you. I could not feel any reduction in recoil compared to my unported 338.

I think, therefore, I am, conservative.
Don't let the low post count fool you; I had to re-join after several years of reading the forums.

Posts: 17 | Location: Helena, Mt. | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a 300wmag that was magna ported. Seemed to me it did help with the jump but not much for recoil

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .458,.375 Weatherby, .338 WM, .300 WM, and two .41 mags that are magna-ported. I like them because they do reduce recoil and muzzle flip and are not as loud and don't kick up as much dust up as a muzzle brake does. The barrel length is not increased by 3 or 4 inches either. The reduction in recoil is not as much as a good muzzle brake, but the reduction is significant, and muzzle blast is much less than with a muzzle brake. Muzzle flip is significantly reduced due to the gases jetting out the top of the barrel. I'm very pleased with mine. I don't notice recoil when I'm hunting anyway. I don't find it necessary to wear ear protection for the limited number of shots incurred while hunting with the magna-ported rifles. Muzzle brakes just split my ears wide open. I can't handle that. If you still find recoil too much put a Pachmyer decelerater recoil pad or a sorbathane pad on your rifle.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My experiences with Magna-porting on powerful bolt rifles such as the .404 Barnes Supreme pretty much mirror Jeff's and Ramrod 340's.

I find it of little or no benefit in reducing recoil, but of some use in reducing muzzle flip. Just not enough of either that I'd ever pay to have it done again.

I have nothing against the Magnaport process...it looks nice enough and I wouldn't turn down a rifle I was buying used if it already had been done. Just doesn't seem worth the shipping hassle and the cost to me.

YMMV

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it of little or no benefit in reducing recoil, but of some use in reducing muzzle flip. Just not enough of either that I'd ever pay to have it done again.

Can't comment on Rifles with MP don't own any an if I ever shot one it was so long ago , wouldn't remember differences now anyway !. I can however assure anyone on Shotguns ,THEY DO REDUCE MUZZLE FLIPPING !. Try one on Clays or ? and tell me it doesn't make a difference .Also works on my 44 mag pistol !. tu2

Recoil actual or perceived ?!.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Belgian Browning in 375 H&H that was Magnaported. My experience is the same as some of the others. I thought the muzzle flip was greatly reduced. Recoil was reduced also. I think it's worth the trouble and not as loud as a brake.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My Blaser R93's bbl. in 9,3x62 is MNP'ted. I can't feel any diminution in recoil but muzzle jump is seriously reduced, directing recoil in a straight line. I use this rifle for drive hunting and it helps a lot for doubling on running shots.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely with swampshooters reply. I will add that muzzle flip reduction is a huge benefit. You stay closer to target, and the punishment of some stock combs is significant, especially with the new scopes with ridiculous sized objectives and super high mounts. A 300 mag or 338 can crack your cheek if you can't get a good stock weld due to scope heighth. The Magnaport really helps this.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Thats just one more reason for me to get and EDM in the garage.
Easy money maker

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
I have a .458,.375 Weatherby, .338 WM, .300 WM, and two .41 mags that are magna-ported. I like them because they do reduce recoil and muzzle flip and are not as loud and don't kick up as much dust up as a muzzle brake does. The barrel length is not increased by 3 or 4 inches either. The reduction in recoil is not as much as a good muzzle brake, but the reduction is significant, and muzzle blast is much less than with a muzzle brake. Muzzle flip is significantly reduced due to the gases jetting out the top of the barrel. I'm very pleased with mine. I don't notice recoil when I'm hunting anyway. I don't find it necessary to wear ear protection for the limited number of shots incurred while hunting with the magna-ported rifles. Muzzle brakes just split my ears wide open. I can't handle that. If you still find recoil too much put a Pachmyer decelerater recoil pad or a sorbathane pad on your rifle.

I agree with the above, good post.

I have two "barrels" Magna Ported for my R93, a 300 Win Mag and a 375 H&H. The beauty of the R 93 is you can shoot the exact same rifle side by side to compare barrels with MP and without.

Besides the reduction in muzzle lift, I do find that it takes the HARD wack out of the recoil, and as Swampshooter stated, does not kick up grass, dirt or snow if shooting prone or off of rocks in the mountains.

I like it.
I have shot a couple of different 378 WBYs and if anything it should be even more efficient with it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Here's the deal: Muzzle braking is accomplished by providing a perpendicular surface for the gas jet to strike, period. The more surface area the greater the "braking" action. Take a look at any of the ports cut by Magnaporting and compare that relatively miniscule surface area to any muzzle brake and it is easy to understand the MP does very, very little, almost nothing to attenuate recoil.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
John that just means they have the slot in the wrong direction Big Grin

Rotate the electrode around 90 degrees and it would work better

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I magnaported my 44mag Super Blackhawk years ago

I burnt (EDM) 4 slots, two per side (.200 x .050) at 45deg x 45deg with 15 deg forward aft and walah!!!

No more roll the muzzle stayed down!!! Group size shrunk in half!!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toomany

I guess I have to disagree with your entire statement. Muzzlebraking works by lowering the exit velocity of the gas leaving with the bullet. Muzzle brakes work via the pressre of in the bore being dissipated out the side so that the velocity out the end of the barrel is lowered. I worked for years in development of ballistic separators for catalyst systems, and spent hundreds of hours watching plastic model results of devices similar to muzzle brakes. In a device such as a brake, there is no gas impingement component to the surfaces perpindular to the bore axis unless it extends into the bore, which is not possible with a bullet/barrel. Radioactive tracer studies show that the gas leaving holes at the side of a tube are always pressure driven and follow the pressure gradiant; that is the gas which leaves the main tube and goes out the side is simply driven straight down the side tube(brake hole).

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion both Art S. and Tomanny Tools can be correct, depending on the Brake design.
Porting with relativly small holes in or verry close to the bore, primarily works, by redirecting the gass
Using large open brakes like on 50bmg or artillery, mainly works by stopping and redirecting the gass by letting it hammer against a surface, therby creating a counterrecoil to neutralize the original gasrecoil

On a avarage caliber the recoil is createt by apx 50% from the aceleration of the bullet, and 50% from the gass leaving the muzzle by apx the double velocity as the bullet. ( 180 grains of bullet traveling aps 2800 fps and 75 grains of hot gass traveling apx 7000fps)

The thing you can work with, is the direction in witch the gass leaves the barrel.
In porting you try to direct as mutch as possible of the gass 90 deg to both sides of the barrel, counterbalancing the gassrecoil. If you port backwards you can actually pull forwards in the barrel, by using the gassrecoil activly (unfortunatly you get deaf during the process)

The artelery type of brakes, works slightly different, as it allowes the gass to create a primary gassrecoil, but captures the recoilenergy again, when the gass hammers against the large surfaces.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Remington Mode; 700 Classic in 350 Rem Mag that had absolutely brutal recoil Magna-Ported. The difference was significant. On that particular rifle I'd say it reduced felt recoil by about half.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
Toomany

I guess I have to disagree with your entire statement. Muzzlebraking works by lowering the exit velocity of the gas leaving with the bullet. Muzzle brakes work via the pressre of in the bore being dissipated out the side so that the velocity out the end of the barrel is lowered. I worked for years in development of ballistic separators for catalyst systems, and spent hundreds of hours watching plastic model results of devices similar to muzzle brakes. In a device such as a brake, there is no gas impingement component to the surfaces perpindular to the bore axis unless it extends into the bore, which is not possible with a bullet/barrel. Radioactive tracer studies show that the gas leaving holes at the side of a tube are always pressure driven and follow the pressure gradiant; that is the gas which leaves the main tube and goes out the side is simply driven straight down the side tube(brake hole).

Which, as I understand the laws of physics, is why the direction (angle of the vent jets) is important.

As I recall the old "equal & opposite" proposition, gas jets flowing upward would impart a downward force...jets angled forward should impart a force vectored to the rear (less noise but more recoil)..and jets angled back toward the shooter should impart a force vectored toward the front of the gun (less recoil but WAY more noise for the shooter). Not a full value force, because of the vectoring, but a force none-the-less.

Balancing those forces is likely one of the difficult parts of designing the most useful muzzlebrakes, if one wants to make use of all the benefits possible in addition to just venting gas pressure. Without balance, either the braking effect won't be maximized or the deafening effect will be a real "wow".

No?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Just to stir Remember that anytime you redirect the flow of a gas you loose velocity of the gas. A 90 degree change in direction can result in a 50% loose of flow.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toomany

That's ok; no problem disagreeing. All I can say is that my practical experience proves what I'm saying. I've not spent any tinme at all in a laboratory experimenting, but I can prove that lots of holes perpendicular to the bore will provide "braking" action far superior to a few slots like Magnaporting.

John Farner

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:

Radioactive tracer studies show that the gas leaving holes at the side of a tube are always pressure driven and follow the pressure gradiant; that is the gas which leaves the main tube and goes out the side is simply driven straight down the side tube(brake hole).

I'm going to have to disagree with this one.
You can't tell me there is no force exerted on the hole as the gas flow changes direction. It happens in air and water lines every day. Now it may be a low order force but still should be considered

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The gas force change is how the muzzle roll is reduced in handguns

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Good for muzzle jump. Muzzle brake is best for recoil. That said, I hate muzzle brakes. I have one on my 300 RUM. Does a great job. It's a Vias brake. I just don't like to have to have hearing protection on to shoot 100 % of the time. I use hearing protection when I shoot, but one time I was tracking a wounded blue wildebeest in thick brush and didnt take a follow-up shot when he came out of the brush and ran by and away quickly. Why? I didn't have hearing protection in and would rather deal with a lost trophy fee versus messed up ears.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter: That said, I hate muzzle brakes...

Ditto. I just don't like them either.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Though I generally detest muzzle brakes too, I guess I should throw in a couple of situations where I like them. coffee

First, I have a pair of varmint rifles which came from the factory with muzzle brakes, and are real handy to use with them. Make it possible to spot my own shot impacts through the scope when working prairie dog towns alone. Smiler

Second, used to have a really light weight, iron sights only, .450 Ackley Mag that was a real bitch with about 90 grains of 3031 and 500 gr. jacketed bullets. An old Herter's muzzle brake (the kind with only two HUGE ports) reduced the recoil to where it was a sweetheart to fire, even one handed. I'd say about the same recoil as a .223 on a stubby, light, AR-15 platform. You wouldn't want to fire the Ackley Mag in a concrete basement range, though.... thumbdown

So, I guess they are like everything else...though their applications may be very limited, they do have at least a few redeeming circumstances. beer

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.