Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith Who Can Make Screws Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted
I've recently picked up a very nice older rifle--a Schultz & Larsen M68DL in 7x61 S&H. However, the action screws (which are metric M6x1) have less-than-pristine heads, and I'd like to be able to replace them. Does anyone know of someone who makes screws for guns? I've checked out a couple of large-scale manufacturers of fasteners, but haven't found anything on their websites that would duplicate the appearance of the existing screws. Here’s a picture of them. Any help will be much appreciated.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 166 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just file the heads down to clean them up?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I'll teach you how to restore screws. Do Not file on them; that removes metal you need.
Put the screw in a vise, head up. Peen the burred slot edges back where they came from.
Take a thin file, or if you have a milling machine, a slotting cutter, and cut the slot clean again.Then you can file on the top, but a belt sander is better; or use abrasive paper on a file to clean up and polish the top.
Lastly, take a propane torch and heat it until it turns blue. Carefully, if you go past blue it will turn gray; you can start over; polish and do it again.
No need to make a new one.
If I make you new ones, it will cost you $20 each.

Posts: 17253 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are definitely salvageable. Ditto dpcd.

Posts: 3760 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...If you want to go with allen head, Brownells sells a blank guard screw kit...just wind on a proper die, turn head to proper diameter (can be doe with a drill motor) and you'll not have to worry about buggered up slots again.

Posts: 3566 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brownells offers a slotted version of those screw blanks too

Posts: 709 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote