New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarreling a Mauser M95
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking of rebarreling a Mauser M95, and was thinking of what types of rounds would work best in this action. I know that it is a lower pressure action that can't take the pounding of some of the new rounds but I was thinking I could rebarrel to the .257 Roberts. My question is would this action be able to handle the pressure of the +p loads that make the Bob a truly super preformer? Or would I be better suited with going with the 250-3000 as a better canidate for this action? Any thoughts on this action and what would be a good caliber. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with the .257R. I think you'll have less feeding problems since it was derived from the 7mm Mauser.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
.257 Roberts gets my vote.....As an added note, I'd not feed it +P loads.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not use that action for any project unless it was for learning or practice. The old thing just has too much going against it. One of the bothersome things is the cock on closing which is a pain. Then if a scope is wanted the bolt handle needs to be cut and welded. Top that off with what you know about pressures and the 95's soft metal and your just going to set it back with hot loads.

My dad and I did one in the 50's but we just used a 7mm Mauser barrel, blued it and put a Bishop stock and a Lyman 48 on it. Not much money spent but all good fun back in the military sporterizing days.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. The gun is another of my pawn shop rescues. I bought it for almost nothing as some one has done their "thing" to it. It already has the bent bolt mil. sights have been removed. Mil. stock has been cut down to close to a sporter shape. The only thing left to do is to put on a new safty and drill and tap. Shoots very well with some of the mil. and factory ammo. I think I will leave it like it is for now and slowly work at making it a hunting gun. The 7x57 can handle all of what I hunt at present and that is with the factory loads. LLB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are you in Louisiana? I'm in Lafayette.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up near Shreveport, La. A little town called Doyline, La. Let me tell you it is a huge place. We have a blinking yellow light. We live on the lake so its fishing all summer and hunting in the winter. Don't think I remember the last time I had store bought meat or fish. I have lots of friends from there. Nice town, lots of fun. LLB