Find
Notify
Tools

M70,Classic .300 Wby Mag Project Q's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted
I went down to the Dallas gunshow today to look for a Colt Commander. Instead I brought home a M70 Classic Sporter in .300 Weatherby. One of my favorite chamberings.

Serial is G70XXX. The metal is NRA 'Excellent' condition the bore pristine. However, the pre -David Miller style stock is only "fair' to 'good'. Several dents and scratches, a decent size chunk gone from the forearm near the barrel channel. Thin red recoil pad. During the drive home I was already thinking of how and what to change

First off, of course, is to shoot it as is and see just what I have to work with accuracy wise. Scope will be a Leupold VX III 3.5 -10 with Talley rings and bases. I'll get those ordered next paycheck

Second is the stock. If I find a decent Sporter LT or current pattern SuperGrade stock ( the David Miller design) for a regular long action ( 30-06 - .300 Win Mag) will it fit with minor fitting ?

Third. Much has been written here about proper magazine geometerys and the M70. Will a pre-64 .300,.375 H&H magazine box & follower fit and function with a Classic action? How about with the Miller Stock? One piece bottom metal ( either Winchester or Williams )?

Forth is the extractor. It does appear to be the old cast part. This one's a no braniner and a new Williams unit will be ordered.

Thanks in advance for the replies. Is there anything else I'm overlooking? Dennis

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dSmith.45,

Answer to question #2. Yes a M70 Classic long action stock of David Miller pattern will fit your older M70 Classic. It should be as good a fit as the original stock.

Answer to #3. No, the pre64 is shorter IIRC by ~0.05". The M70 Classic magazine box works fine with 300 Weatherby, I know I used to own one. Shot several hundred rounds through. If you buy M70 Classic Supergrade bottom metal (Williams ) it will work fine with the M70 Classic David Miller pattern stock.

The easiest approach is to buy a Supergrade stock and bottom metal from USRAC and retrofit your newly acquired M70 Classic in 300 Weatherby mag.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Thanks, AC. re the pre-64 mag box. I was also hoping to pick up the extra round, four vs three, that the pre-64's offered. I may need to consider the Blackburn magazine & bottom metal which would required custom stocking.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If she shoots, and as money permits, order a "Legend" stock from D'Arcy Echols, have a set of custom bases installed for those Talley rings, order a spring steel extractor and bottom metal (2pc my choice) from Williams, and holy crap you'll have a winner.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Chuck but I really prefer a wood stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
here you go,

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=850660&MC=

these guys are great to deal with, if you get it and don't agree with their description of "excellent" they will take it back no questions asked