Find
Notify
Tools

Another C&R question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
When I dropped my Type 01 FFLs some years ago, I got a Type 03 FFL, just for convenience.

However, I find that many dealers will NOT sell rifles such as Winchester pre-'64 Model 70s, Winchester '88s, Remington Model '37s, etc., to C&R license holders, saying they have to go to Type 01 FFL holders only (dealer or gunsmith).

Is that true in ANY instances? Or is it just dealer ignorance? (I am assuming it is MY ignorance, not theirs, but would like to know for sure what the situation is, anyway.)

If it is legal for them to sell to C&R holders, is there some kinds of a letter available from BATFE that one could copy and send along with his orders to the dealers?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Certain commercial firearms are C&R eligible.

You'll have to refer to your list of C&R eligible firearms to see which are and which aren't though. I know that for example, certain Colts and Winchesters are C&R eligible but many aren't. Just kinda depends on date of manufacture and what the BATFE has decreed they'll allow.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Class 01, gunsmith and often sell items for customers online. If I get someone insisting an item I am selling is C&R eligible, I tell them to go to the BATFE website and find the page with the relevant info, cut & paste and send to me. I then go to the site myself and confirm the information is still correct. This way I don't have to waste my time searching.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
Certain commercial firearms are C&R eligible.

You'll have to refer to your list of C&R eligible firearms to see which are and which aren't though. I know that for example, certain Colts and Winchesters are C&R eligible but many aren't. Just kinda depends on date of manufacture and what the BATFE has decreed they'll allow.

Tex- I knew that. I refer to the BATFE List on line to see which they list as currently eligible and which may no longer be on the list.

The problem I have is that many 01 license holders who are sellers (not gunsmiths) have insisted that guns they have put into their "dealers book" also have to go out to 01-type dealers, not to C&R holders, unless the buyer lives in the same state and will come to their shop (licensed premises) to execute a 4473. I have never read that in the regulations anywhere, but thought maybe I have missed something. Does anyone out there know for sure?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the simple answer to your question is yeah the are ignorant and don't know the rules or care to find out, the problem is the ATF puts the fear of god into people in such a way as they don't want to do anything they themselves feel comfortable with.

sometimes you also hear about some FFL dealers refusing to receive a gun and transfer it to the buyer unless the seller also sent if from an FFL holder, this is a misunderstanding of the rules.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, CC. Guess I will try phtocopying pages from the BATFE C&R list and sending that to them along with payment...but I suspect it won't do much good with a lot of them.