Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engraving
 Login/Join

posted
I recently talked to this gentleman about doing some engraving on a Fox shotgun project I am having done and was so pleased after talking to him I thought some of the rest of you might be interested in his information.
He is extremely informative, friendly, and more than happy to explain any aspects of engraving that you might not understand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken Hurst has been actively engraving firearms for 38 years. A custom shop master engraver for Colt and Winchester, he has also worked for Ruger, Walther, Harrington & Richardson and Thompson Center. We have been very impressed with the work he has done for us and for our clients.

All work is created using traditional Chasing hammer, chisels and hand gravers. Prices are quoted by request. Individuals should call, write or e-mail Ken with specifics about their interest so that he will have a clearer picture of what they want and be able to give an accurate quote.

"All work is done on an individual basis with creating an engraving that
isn't exactly like another piece, unless specified to do so. I feel every client
should have something that is unique to his rifle only. I strive to create
something fresh with all commissions yet still maintain a classic look."
- Ken Hurst

Ken can be reached at:

Ken Hurst
PO Box 5
Robersonville, N.C. 27871
252-795-6670
hursteng@beachlink.com

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
bigr,

Welcome to the AR forums. I'm glad you posted this...Ken is about to begin engraving my 404 Jeff. The only work of his I've seen is pics and they are good. Guess I'm just a nervous nellie because he came highly recommended and is as nice a guy as I've talked with on the phone.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Recurve:

Worry not about your 404. Pictures do not do Mr. Hurst's work justice. If you like the pictures you will be ecstatic it when you see the work up close and personal. Every time you look at the work you will see something that you missed all the times before. I have the highest regard for Mr. Hurst and his work.

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

Welcome to the AR forums. I haven't seen any of your other posts so I must not be doing enough time around here. I'm not that concerned about Ken personally. I'm concerned about the rifle. I was delivered a custom rifle worth less than half of it's cost with reference to quality. I sent it back twice and they didn't fix the problems...on and on the story goes...suffice it to say this has been a problem rifle from the start and I'm at the end of a very frustrating 4 year process to get this rifle done. I'm planning on posting pics when it's done. Thanks for the info on Ken's work. I'm glad dove season opens today..now I'll be able to get my mind off the 404! Cool

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hursts correct e-mail add. is kenhurst@cox.net Sorry about that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe I have a rifle that was engraved by him. It was stocked by Maurice Ottmar. I had always thought his name was Ken Horst. Sounds too close to not be the same person. This guy lived in Washington, I believe and them moved east.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just recently talked to Mr. Hurst and he informed me that the article I took the original info I posted was outdated and he has more like 47 years experience. Even better.