New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako barrel quality?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a sako 75 that I want to change the caliber. I have a new take off sako barrel that I can use. But since I'm already changing the barrel, I don't know if I should just get an aftermarket barrel instead of the take off. Would there a big difference in quality and accuracy? Is there anything else you would do to the action?

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sako has always had the reputation of have very good barrels, if the gun is to be used for hunting i would no qualms about using a sako barrel. if its a bench gun, then maybe not

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, my grandfather was given a Sako Vixen 222 at his retirement party. He bought a scope and we went to a range to sight it in. After several attempts at 100 yards, we couldn't tell where the shots were going so we walked down range to look at the target area. The holes were dead center, touching, no need for any adjustments.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have (3) factory barreled Sakos and they all shoot well. If you are not a Benchrest hound, just use it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would be used for hunting. I want something that's better quality than Remington's or Winchester's. Not that those can't be accurate. But they are not as consistently accurate and are more picky than my custom barrels.

I don't need to shoot quarter inch groups but I want to be able to shoot several factory loads well (less than an inch) on a regular basis, and be easy to clean.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are good barrels. They are hammer forged, so do not try to modify the contour or anything exotic.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeL:
Yes, it would be used for hunting. I want something that's better quality than Remington's or Winchester's. Not that those can't be accurate. But they are not as consistently accurate and are more picky than my custom barrels.

I don't need to shoot quarter inch groups but I want to be able to shoot several factory loads well (less than an inch) on a regular basis, and be easy to clean.

If you get any barrel maker to agree to that you'r getting somewhere. Good Luck Kenny