New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLR 81 rechamber to what?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking about rechambering my .30-06 to something a bit more powerful but cnnot decide what. Thought about .30-06 AI, then, .338-06, inquired about 300 WM. What do you folks think? I am sure I will have to re-barrel and that is fine with me. Let me know what you think. Thanks-Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
You should be able to rechamber in 300 Win Mag, I just bought a new BLR Lightning in 300 and am very pleased with it so far. It won't get hunted with until first week of Dec on a deer and Blackbuck hunt but so far it's shooting well with 165 gr and ok with 150's and 180's.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Karl. If you're willing to rebarrel, modify the bolt face, change magazines, and correct the feeding, then anything in a standard length mag is possible, from 240 Wby to 458 Win Mag. It would make one hell of a 416 Taylor. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read that browning was comming out with a BLR in 450 Marlin and 358 winchester in 2003. And it will have a straigt stock. Also that winchester was changing the safety on the Model 94 from the hated crossbolt safety to a tang safety like the late 1892 and 1886. [Big Grin]

<Don Martin29>
posted
Unless something is wrong with the 30/06 barrel it makes no sense to rechamber a rifle. That cartridge is the most popular world wide. Just keep it and use it or sell it and buy another. It will cost you a lot less in time and money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a 35 Whelen?

Posts: 31 | Location: Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote