Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Herters Mausers
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know about these? I have aline on one, aXK3 model in 300 Win. for a reasonable price. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: suburb of Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I bought a Herters Kit gun in 308 Win. It was a Santa Barbara Mauser from Spain. I still have it and it shoots like a house of fire. There have been unfavorable posts about the Santa Barbara Mauser but mine seems to be just fine and I'm happy. Isn't that what it's all about?

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some XK3's were German made, most were Yugoslavian made. The Yugo made ones I have seen have been pretty good quality, on par with the Interarms MKII's also made in Yugo. I have not run across a German made specimen.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have a Yugoslav made Herters J-9 action that started life as a 7 M/M RemMag. It has the Oberndorf style bottom metal (floorplate release in the trigger guard). It is a lot smoother than the later ones. I've converted it to .458 and it shoots and functions well. If I knew the source of the action, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a gusmith friend call me up the other day and wanted to know how to dissasemble the bolt on one of those J9's. I have never had the occasion to dismantle one. Can you give me an explanation?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Hass has a very good write up on these actions.
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Jim - My rifle had J-9 stamped on the barrel and is a plaln as they come FN style Mauser and has no tricks to disassmble. Maybe I'm mistaken about the model designation but, I thought the U-9 was the BSA style action. If they had any other actions they used, I'm not familiar with them. By the way, I put one of your bolt sleeve conversions on it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an xk3 built on a Santa Barbara or Centurian commercial 98. Action is nicely finished, barrel needs replaced. I paid $300 for the rifle originally.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). Herter's was closing out the XK actions when I discovered them and I have no personal knowledge of them.
#2). Herters had a J9 action that DeHaas thought was probably a grade 2 Mark X Mauser out of Yugoslavia. Mine works fine.
#3). Herters' sold a U9 rifle that De Haas states is a BSA product (the action anyway) made in England (probably???) at Birmingham Small Arms (BSA)... Mine is nice, works good too. I think I paid extra for the Douglas barrel.

Reasonable price would be on the low side. The guns were "utility" shooters and plenty good for that, but not trailer queens with all the sparkle possile. (I threw away the "white line" spaces on mine immediately... Geo. was weird at times and I disagreed with him...) luck.

posted Hide Post
Gentlemen thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay but been real busy! I just saw said gun and it is made in Germany says so on the front ring, condition is good but needs a new stock! He wants $350.00 but I think thats a little high since its going to become something bigger. I am thinking 358Norma, 416Talor or 458Win. Any thoughts would be welcome, and what do you think would be a reasonable price for said gun. Thanks in advance.

Rich

Posts: 15 | Location: suburb of Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it needs a stock $300 max, offer $250.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all you're buying is the action, which os OK, herters barrels were chit, if the stock is garbage anyway. 250 is a high figure. i wouldn't pay over 250 for a cherry herters rifle (and i've owned several)

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a j-9 in .308 that started life as a yugoslavian mauser action built during ww2 by zastava. even with a herter's barrel it shoots like a dream and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an XK-3 in a short (medium) action chambered in .257 Roberts. Action made in Germany. There were several issues with the action, including a poorly designed floorplate latch that never worked, bolt root that had to be ground down to clear a low-mounted scope, very poor trigger that had to be replaced with a Timney, and filler screws in the scope mounting holes that were challenging to remove. However, the rifle shot with outstanding accuracy with the factory Herter's barrel.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote