Find
Notify
Tools

Which Gun Oil
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I just had two rifles reblued in a bead blasted texture. What surface gun oil do you guys use for your matt finished rifles?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Break Free CLP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto. Slather it on, let it sit, wipe off the excess. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
G-96 "Gun Treatment". Works well on wood, too. Best all-around treatment I've found in the last 35 years. Several gun shops I've demo'd it to now use it exclusively for their display stock. And, I am NOT connected with the G-96 people in any way...just know a good product when I've used it, and show it to my friends.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend either MiliTec-1 or any of the Slip2000 products.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
transmission fluid when I don't have three N one or singer sewing machine oil.......when I don't have Break Free or whatever its called.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as a "Rust Preventative" gun oil is concerned; I've had good results with Eezox, Boeshield and Rust Prevent. Every published test I've read puts these three on top as well. I've used the Breakfree in the past professionally and will not use it anymore. I currently use the Militec oil along with Milcom grease professionally on all weapon systems. The Militec is great oil but will not prevent rust as well as the above three. Good old Bowling Alley wax is also a good rust prevention coating as well. It also has the advantage of giving you a good grip when the weapon is wet.

Gary

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The spindle oil you buy by the gallon for your lathe is as good a gun oil as any. Cool

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any petroleum based product is going to attract and hold dust, dirt and grime, which then turns to an abrasive sludge/paste...Just something to consider.

I agree with whomever suggested wax. A good paste wax dries hard, doesn’t wipe right off, doesn’t attract dirt, and is water repellent.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use rem oil.Don't know much about oils.My brother tells me my rem oil opens the garbage shed door in the cold and not the wd-40.It gets my bolt slick but I have not tried others.I read that gun collectors use Brekfree on their guns.I like the use of oil on the stock of my deluxe rifle to keep fingerprints off.For that I use any non solvent oil.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are we talking lubrication or outside rust protection or both?

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FP-10

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually use CLP or Rem oil, but I have been using EEZOX lately and it seems to work just fine. I kinda like the smell too.

My wife used to be keyed into the smell of Hoppes #9 and when she smells the EEZOX it's like the perfume of another woman...like being unfaithful. I need to work on that.

Anyone else using EEZOX? How's it working for you?

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually use CLP or Rem oil but have been using EEZOX lately. Anyone else using it?

My wife is keyed to Hoppes #9 and when she smells EEZOX it is like the smell of another woman's perfume...gotta work on that...it's like being unfaithful or something.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Eezox on blued guns for rust prevention during long exposures to foul weather. Eezox holds up well to salt spray as does the others I listed above.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I just had two rifles reblued in a bead blasted texture. What surface gun oil do you guys use for your matt finished rifles?

I don't use any oil for rustproofing anymore, either in a bore or on the outside surfaces!Just swab 'em ALL with a patch saturated with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH, whether the finish is "armory bright", browned, blued, bead-blasted, color-casehardened, Parkerized, Teflon, or whatever. Never a spot of rust ever ..........

Only use oil for friction fighting anymore! Just SHEATH for protection.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't use any oil for rustproofing anymore, either in a bore or on the outside surfaces!Just swab 'em ALL with a patch saturated with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH, whether the finish is "armory bright", browned, blued, bead-blasted, color-casehardened, Parkerized, Teflon, or whatever. Never a spot of rust ever ..........

Never heard of it. I'll have to check. To those that asked it was for rust protection.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
G96 - I've used it for years and love it.

Cleans, Lubricates and protects guns in one operation.

Keeps the firing pin and all moving parts working in temps as low as -50 degrees.

I also like Tetra lube.

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put that red jelly-like synthetic oil sinclair sells in my bore.Soak a mop with that and work up a foam.It must prevent rust.I am a believer in synthetic oils.I remember as a young lad finding it funny when my dad used to fill up two shopping carts with synthetic motor oil at K-mart while on vacation in the states.Things were much cheaper to buy in the states back then.I couldn't stand spending an entire day in Bed and Bath.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I usually use a mixture of 90% ATF and 10% mineral spirits.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
G-96 "Gun Treatment". Works well on wood, too. Best all-around treatment I've found in the last 35 years. Several gun shops I've demo'd it to now use it exclusively for their display stock. And, I am NOT connected with the G-96 people in any way...just know a good product when I've used it, and show it to my friends.

Yep. I use this a lot for outside metal tx.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
Break Free CLP

AR 15 shooter

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

Only use oil for friction fighting anymore! Just SHEATH for protection.

Sheath is the best. thumb

Roland

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I like Eezox and another called Ballistol.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like old-fashioned RIG for rust protection when the guns are going in the safe for a long period.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use household 3 in 1 Oil" for any oiling & on
blued outside surfaces. Works for me. An oldie
but goodie.
Others may very well be better, but 3 in one works
good so I have used it over the years. My Dad was
a professional machinist 'till he retired & swore by it.
Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Break Free, Birchwood Casey Sheath, and Rig more than anything else.
I like the smell of Ballistol, but it is hard to find.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I have used break free.CLP. since I was in the marine corps. It works great. I sometimes substitute 3 in 1 oil when I am out of break free, But I get break free from work for free so I use it.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing that needs to be considered after a fresh bluing job is that it takes a little time for the bluing to cure. For this reason I don't recommend that you use a sealer like wax.

If the parts came with the water displacing oil on, leave it on and as one suggested apply CLP, Fp-10 and rub it on the metal. Wiping it off you'll find what looks like rust on your rag. Paper towel works fine too. That's what bluing is, a pretty rust.

Keeping doing this, and as you do, you'll find that the rust looking residue will be less and less. You don't have to be manic about it, but I've found this to help in the curing and better all around for the final product.

Don

Posts: 128 | Location: Oregon,USA | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I like breakfree. But will use just about any of them.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote