Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 tang safety to 358 Norma?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Ok, its a 30-06 200 year of American Liberty deal. My grandfather gave it to me, but it just plain sucks in the accuracy department and I have 4 other 30-06 rifles.

So I want something big, I am thinking 358 Norma, 9.3x64, or what?

I know a 35 Whelan, or a 9.3x62 would be simple, but I want something with more reach out and touch and I am thinking 358 Norma. Besides I already have both of those rifles.

If I bought another magazine box and follower for a 338 and, rebarreled and opened the bolt face would it work?

Don't tell me that I need to change guns, as this is a family gun and that's why I am keeping it.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would think there would not be a problem.

I don't have any experience with the 9.3X64. But, I do have a 358 Norma and love it.

Yes going to a 35W or 9.3X62 would be a little cheaper but not much.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I don't think it would work. The casehead is way larger on the Norma. I do not think you can change out the face on that particular bolt. You need a bolt with a magnum boltface.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt face just needs to be opened up. I have one in the works with a little trouble stemming from the push fed allowing the larger diameter cartridge to jump and get wedged in. This is with Norma loads and .458 sized down.
My smith is going to open the ramp a little and cahange the follower slightly to keep the round captured a bit longer before entering the barrel.
I agreee that this is the correct direction for a .35
I also have a Whelan and the 9.3 but feel like the Norma is better suited.
I also have a .358 STA but it won't work on the Ruger action which I really love.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcatcher223:
I don't think it would work. The casehead is way larger on the Norma. I do not think you can change out the face on that particular bolt. You need a bolt with a magnum boltface.

You don't change out the bolt face you machine it to fit. Thanks for your help though.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
The bolt face just needs to be opened up. I have one in the works with a little trouble stemming from the push fed allowing the larger diameter cartridge to jump and get wedged in. This is with Norma loads and .458 sized down.
My smith is going to open the ramp a little and cahange the follower slightly to keep the round captured a bit longer before entering the barrel.
I agreee that this is the correct direction for a .35
I also have a Whelan and the 9.3 but feel like the Norma is better suited.
I also have a .358 STA but it won't work on the Ruger action which I really love.
Frank

Thanks Frank, looks like you whacked him before I could.

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Is there enough metal to open it up that far? You are going from .473 to .5130, which seems substantial.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Actually it is more like .53. The Ruger action was the same for the 06 and the normal magnums. Just a matter of the mag box and how wide the bolt face was opened.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Actually it is more like .53. The Ruger action was the same for the 06 and the normal magnums. Just a matter of the mag box and how wide the bolt face was opened.
beer

I am looking forward to it. I'll probably order the barrel this summer.