New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm BR feeding questions??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any problems making a short action Remington feed 6BR cartridges from the magazine? Seem I remember reading about it once somewheres.

Or would going to a clip fed rifle like a 788 be a better choice?

thanks

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you put a "filler" in the back of the magazine box it is not too tough, as the 6-BR is same diameter base case as .308, .243, .270, 30-'06, etc.

As a general rule, the shorter the case, the less taper, and the steeper the shoulder, the trickier they are to make feed without fail but that is just a generality. A person familiar with working on rifle feeding should be able to do it in this instance without too much problem.

Good luck,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20BR based on the 6BR. It feeds just fine from my Remington 700 BDL short action. I've thought about blocking the magazine for a better fit, but don't seem to have a problem with it as it is.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had success with a 7 BR. I started with getting a magazine spring from a .223/.222 Remington. Then cutting a quarter inch off the back of the .308 follower. I then made a quarter inch plastic filler to sit at the back of the magazine. It has to be a perfect fit, that is sit firmly at back of magazine with out moving, and curve the top so it becomes part of the bolt way. I also found it would not eject empties clear, them being so short, so I just removed the ejector spring so that the brass just falls away from bolt when the rifle is tilted to right.
It works best with just 3 in mag, as with any caliber in this rifle.

Posts: 53 | Location: Meadow Lake, Sask., Canada | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote